Residence Hall Manager
Position Summary Information
Job Description Summary
Southwestern Michigan College, a two-year college located approximately 30 minutes north of South Bend, Indiana, and approximately 30 minutes from Lake Michigan, is seeking a full-time Residence Hall Manager.
Position Summary: The Department of Student Housing at Southwestern Michigan College is committed to providing residents an on-campus environment that promotes student success, engages students through intentional interactions, and challenges them to grow both academically and personally. The Residence Hall Manager position is a full-time, 12-month, live-in position with primary responsibility for a co-ed residence hall community of 130 residents. The Residence Hall Manager reports directly to the Director of Student Housing. In addition, this position may have collateral responsibility in other Student Activity departments or campus offices.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Supervision, Selection, Training and Evaluation of student staff
• Supervise a staff of 3 Resident Assistants, 20-25 Desk Assistants, and 1 Front Desk Coordinator.
• Plan and facilitate weekly staff meetings.
• Plan and facilitate bi-weekly 1:1 meetings with Resident Assistant staff.
• Participate in Resident Assistant recruitment and selection.
• Facilitate and participate in extensive Resident Assistant and Desk Assistant training.
• Direct overall management and operation of a residence hall.
• Participate in a weekly on-call duty rotation.
• Establish office hours for availability to residents and staff.
• Submit administrative reports and forms (e.g. Room condition reports, damage assessments, health and safety forms, program planning paperwork, procurement card expenditure reports).
• Supervise hall opening and closing procedures at the beginning and end of each semester and during extended holiday breaks.
• Assist with the room selection process for new and returning students.
• Maintain updated inventories of all residence hall equipment and lounge furniture.
• Oversee department projects as assigned.
• Conduct monthly health and safety inspections.
• Provide consistent academic support to students in assigned residence hall.
• Supervise a 24 hour front desk.
• Attend weekly departmental staff meetings.
• Attend bi-weekly 1:1 meetings with Director of Student Housing.
• Supervise staff in educational programming initiatives.
• Track residence hall programming efforts.
• Support and attend departmental events and programs.
• Incorporate living/learning communities into programming efforts.
• Partake in departmental training and development workshops.
• Encourage maximum participation in programs by staff and residents.
Student Conduct and Security
• Educate staff and students to self-enforce policies and respect the rights of others through community standards.
• Adjudicate first time offenses for minor residence hall violations.
• Serve as a member of Conduct Board as needed.
• Advise and support Resident Assistant staff in student conduct matters.
• Consult with the Coordinator of Student Conduct and Community Standards regarding referrals and other necessary conduct actions.
• Enforce College and residence hall policies.
• Participate in professional staff recruitment, selection, and training.
• Maintain close contact with maintenance and custodial staff.
• Have knowledge of all front desk procedures.
• Coordinate various summer projects.
• Serve on College committees as assigned.
• Maintain a high level of visibility and availability to students.
• Bachelor’s degree with previous residential life leadership experience required (Master’s degree preferred).
• Strong communication, problem-solving, computer, and organizational skills.
• Conflict mediation knowledge or experience.
• Demonstrated ability to effectively multitask.
• Enthusiasm and willingness to develop, initiate, and participate in educational student programming.
• Ability to work as a member of a Student Housing team with students and professionals with varying levels of experience.
• Sound administrative and supervisor skills.
• Working knowledge of issues facing first generation and first year student populations.
• Sense of humor.
Posting Number 20110574
Job Category Staff
Reference Request Details
Accept References Yes
Minimum Requests 3
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What prior experience do you have with supervising residence life staff?
(Open Ended Question)
- * What experience do you have with advising student organizations?
(Open Ended Question)
- * What experience do you have with Crisis Response?
(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Inside Higher Ed
- Chronicle of Higher Ed
- MI Talent
- MCCA Website
- The Ladders
- Michigan Center for Nursing
- Indiana Career Connect
- Employee Referral
- SMC Website
- SMC Job Alert Email
- * Do you have at least a Bachelor's degree or higher?
- Cover Letter
- Academic Transcripts
- Optional Documents