Corporate Manufacturing Engineer Stamping Die Experience
The Manufacturing Engineer, reporting to the Engineering Manager, is responsible for preparing cost estimates as requested by the customer for product and component manufacturing, material pricing, labor, and related services; ensuring the scope of work is accurately interpreted; accountability as the primary contact for development/introduction and on-going evaluation of all related tooling and stamping processes; direct contact with prototype, tool and die shops; coordinate/evaluate and approve prototype quotations and part builds. Reviews mechanical drawings, blueprints, and bills of material to develop manufacturing costs and generates complete quotes for entire product assemblies by determining raw material, labor and fabricating requirements. Assists sales by entering item numbers, checking material stock status, calculating material and assembly weights, and contacting vendors for service pricing; provides back-up sales support to the sales organization as needed.
Essential Responsibilities & Duties:
- Strong background and understanding of all tooling and die applications including stamping dies, blanking dies, weld fixtures, check fixtures, gauging fixtures, and calculating tonnage requirements.
- Expert in die design and can challenge T&D shops on proposals
- Understands cradle to grave die design and stamping processes
- Prepare cost estimates and quotes for manufactured products and related services.
- Review customer blue prints for fabricated parts and components in order to generate cost estimates and quotes according to customer specifications.
- Evaluate all supplier quotes/proposals for conformance to print and plant engineering requirements to ensure strategic competitiveness.
- Compile labor, material and related fabrication costs for new parts and repeat orders per customer specifications.
- Confer with Engineering, Operations and Purchasing to ensure design specifications, fabrication and required materials can meet quoted pricing estimates.
- Have direct contact with Customers and Vendors as required.
- Support the Sales function to ensure all quotes and estimates are thorough and completed on time.
- Contact vendors and negotiate pricing when services beyond DMP capabilities are needed to fabricate or complete the part; incorporate into the quote.
• Associates degree in Engineering Design, Manufacturing or related degree
• 3 or more years estimating or quoting experience in a manufacturing environment; metal fabrication shop, preferred (visit www.defiancemetal.com to observe process expertise utilized at Defiance Metal Products)
• 3 or more years serving in a Customer Service position. Must be customer oriented.
• Proficient in reading and interpreting blue prints, drawings and formulas
• Metallurgy knowledge and comprehension
• Excellent written and oral skills and demonstrated effectiveness working with others in a team environment
• Proficient in MS Office: (Word and Excel)
• Demonstrated Math proficiency.
• BS degree in Mechanical engineering or related field with an emphasis in Mechanical Design
• Demonstrated experience working with LEAN initiatives (5S) and Continuous Improvement
• Knowledge of ISO standards and experience working in an ISO environment
• Proficient in SolidWorks and CAD
Competencies: To succeed in this position, the employee must possess the following combinations of skills and abilities:
• Communication Skills: Experience in reading and interpreting policies and procedures. Must be able to interact with customers and provide expertise in manufacturability of component parts as well as weldments. Must be able to communicate to shop personnel the information required to produce a quality product. Will need to communicate with all employees of the manufacturing process to ensure estimates and delivery times are met.
• Mathematical Skills: Proficient in calculating figures, converting fractions to decimals, understanding of dimensions and geometric tolerancing.
• Reasoning Ability: Proficient in solving practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• Technology Skills: Highly organized, continuous improvement and proficient in reading Blueprints, experience in MS Office (Word & Excel), SolidWorks and CAD.
• Organizational Relationships: The Estimator will interrelate with all departments in the company, from estimating through invoicing:
• Executive Management
• Machine operators
Defiance Metal Products is a full service metal stamper, fabricator and painter of medium volume components and assemblies for the military vehicle, commercial vehicle, construction equipment and agricultural equipment OE Markets; Serving customers from multiple locations across the United States with certified quality systems. This privately owned company has been in business since 1939. The Company enjoys numerous customer quality and service, as well as safety awards.
Tue, 11 Jul 2017 05:46:29 PDT