University of Colorado - School of Medicine
The Department of Orthopedic Surgery at the University of Colorado in Denver, Colorado is seeking a full-time exempt (non-hourly) Instructor-Physician Assistant/Nurse Practitioner in the Pediatric Hip Program to practice at Children's Hospital Colorado in Aurora, Colorado. The position is not eligible for tenure. Our clinical practice is based at Children's Hospital Colorado in Aurora, Colorado, as well as the surrounding Network of Care Facilities. Children's Hospital Colorado is a state-of-the-art facility, with a very busy tertiary referral center with extensive pathology covering the entire spectrum of Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery. Clinical responsibilities include active participation in the continued growth of the Pediatric Orthopedic programs at Children's Hospital Colorado. The candidate will provide medical services in both the inpatient and outpatient environments.
Duties and Responsibilities
- This is a position requiring interest in Pediatric Hip and Orthopedic Surgery. The applicant must be self-directed, detail-oriented, and adaptable in a high-intensity environment. Excellent communication and interpersonal skills are required as well.
- Obtains detailed history and performs physical examinations on assigned patients; assesses and treats acute/chronic medical problems (focusing on the musculoskeletal system) and provides direct patient care to a specified patient population. Write prescriptions for medications, PT, OT, imaging studies, and DME as needed. Complete FMLA and other forms and school notes as needed.
- Assists in providing pre-op, intra-op and post-op care; writes appropriate orders, including those for narcotics and other scheduled drugs. There will be some casting, splinting, and dressing required.
- Performs emergency life saving procedures in cases such as cardiac arrest, respiratory arrest, massive hemorrhage, or similar emergencies. Occasionally provide fracture reductions in ER or office as needed, but not conscious sedation. Perform joint aspirations and injections.
- Notifies attending physician on call, house physician on call, or supervising physician regarding any unusual or unexpected events or problems requiring direct physician consultation.
- Practices safety, environmental, and/or infection control methods.
- Coordinates the activities of patient care and support staff within the clinic. Work with the team to ensure smooth operation of the clinic.
- Writes progress notes on patients' office and hospital charts indicating patient status and treatment procedures performed; maintains other records as required.
- Provides health education to patients and families; may train and supervise medical students, residents, fellows, Physician Assistant students, and other health professional students, engaged in specific clinical activities.
- Enhances professional growth and development through participation in educational programs, current literature, in-service meetings, and workshops.
- Participate (attend, give talks, help organize) in educational programs of the CU Department of Orthopedics including weekly academic conference, journal club, symposia.
- Will assist in community outreach events including giving educational talks.
- Assist orthopedic surgeon in operating room setting.
- Help develop written educational materials and treatment protocols for specific conditions and post-operative care.
- Assist in preparing and giving powerpoint and poster presentations for educational purposes at institutional, local and national meetings.
- May perform clinical research related to specific conditions and assist in preparation of manuscripts for publication
- Must become proficient in documentation and use of current the Electronic Medical Record, and be an available resource to other health care providers
- Will assist in and take telephone, ER and hospital call coverage. Telephone triage of urgent patients will be a critical function.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Flexibility required as the nature of the position will change over time as one gains knowledge and experience. The expectation will be for gradually more independence in the office as confidence is gained.
- Participate in the PA call pool for coverage of the emergency and urgent care centers at the Main hospital and Network of care sites.
- State of Colorado Certified Physician Assistant or Inclusion on the State of Colorado Advanced Practice Registry as an Advance Practice Nurse; Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants or certification by the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) Certification; certification pending, as documented by temporary certificate.
- CPR Certified
- Hip experience preferred. May be willing to train new grad with previous
- hospital/ortho experience or exceptional qualities
- Bachelor's degree in a related Technical, Scientific, or Engineering discipline
- 6 months to 1-year experience directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
This position works primarily Monday-Friday (but will have some weekend responsibilities including educational symposia, outreach events and occasional call) and will be located primarily in Denver Metro Area (Douglas County, Adams County, Aurora and Boulder, Colorado)
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Review of applications will begin July 15, 2017, and will continue until the position is filled. Questions should be directed to Jodi.Naylor@ucdenver.edu
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 09984
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20259 - SOM-Orthopedics
Posting Date: Jul 11, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jodi Naylor
Posting Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00007896