Dean and Robert A.Jolley Chair in Business
The Citadel invites nominations and applications for the position of inaugural Dean of the Tommy and Victoria Baker School of Business and the Robert A. Jolly Chair in Business Administration.
This is a particularly exciting time in the history of The Citadel. The School was recently named the Tommy and Victoria Baker School of Business in recognition of a transformational gift from Mr. Tommy Baker, a veteran student from the Class of 1972, and his wife Victoria. Furthermore, construction will begin late 2017 on a 48,000 square foot building that will become the home of the Baker School of Business. Bastin Hall, made possible by the generosity of Mr. Rick Bastin, Citadel Class of 1965, and his wife Mary Lee, will be the first new academic facility constructed on the historic campus since 1974 and will enhance the mission of The Citadel.
The School seeks a proven and visionary leader who will assume the role as the current dean returns to the faculty after staging the naming of the school and contributing to the positive atmosphere that characterizes The Citadel. The new Dean will guide the development of the Baker School’s programs and strategic initiatives, including continuing AACSB accreditation. As Dean, the successful candidate will
The Dean's primary responsibilities include fund-raising, the management of external relationships, the administration of the School, and the oversight of curricular, budgetary, personnel and academic matters including faculty development. The Baker School of Business offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in business administration. Both the undergraduate program and the MBA are accredited by AACSB. There are approximately 650 undergraduate and 200 graduate students in these programs. The School has 27 full-time faculty members actively engaged in teaching, research, and service.
Located in historic Charleston, South Carolina, a city known for its unique charm and high quality of life, The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina, is a coeducational public college dedicated to achieving excellence in the education of principled leaders. At the undergraduate level, the institution functions as a senior military college offering 23 undergraduate majors. The military framework of our Corps of Cadets provides a unique experience designed to support the academic achievement and character development that serve as the foundation for principled leadership in any domain. As a public regional university, The Citadel also offers 24 graduate degrees, 24 graduate certificate programs, and eight undergraduate evening degree-completion programs (including business administration) in a civilian environment. Prospective applicants are strongly encouraged to visit The Citadel's website (www.citadel.edu) and to navigate from there to the Baker Business School's Prospectus and other webpages. Applicants should also examine The Citadel's LEAD 2018 Plan (http://www.citadel.edu/root/theleadplan), which presents the institution's strategic plan and includes access to a recent report detailing progress toward the goals identified within that plan. Building on The Citadel's strengths, the strategic plan has served to guide The Citadel to become the #1 public masters-level university in the South for the sixth year in a row, according to U. S. News & World Report's most recent rankings.
• An earned doctorate in business administration or a closely related field from an AACSB-accredited program, or significant professional experience at the C-level plus experience in higher education, including familiarity with the process of earning tenure and promotion, coupled with a Master’s degree in business or a related field from an AACSB-accredited institution.
• A strong commitment to promoting teaching and scholarship at a predominately-undergraduate institution.
• Demonstrated evidence of distinguished teaching, research, and scholarly work appropriate to qualify the candidate for appointment as a tenured full professor, or experience with the tenure process in higher education for an applicant whose primary experience is in industry.
• A proven record of effective administrative experience, preferably in higher education, that includes fund-raising, planning and assessment, faculty (or employee) development, budgeting, and personnel decisions.
• Strong interpersonal, communication, and decision-making abilities that enable the individual to develop partnerships with our various stakeholders.
• A commitment to promoting excellence and diversity in the recruitment, retention, and development of students, faculty, and staff.
• A commitment to shared governance and to the values of educational· excellence and meaningful service consistent with The Citadel's mission and core values.
Other desirable qualifications include:
• A proven ability to develop and maintain relationships with external constituencies.
• Experience with outreach and marketing strategies.
• A demonstrated ability to acquire external resources through grants, contracts, and gifts.
• Experience with AACSB accreditation requirements and processes.
• Familiarity with or interest in the development of online courses and programs.
The Application Process
To apply for this position, interested candidates should apply at www.citadel.edu/careers. A completed application consists of the following information uploaded to that site:
1. A completed online application form;
2. A cover letter that specifically addresses the candidate's qualifications for this position;
3. A current curriculum vitae;
4. Names, email addresses, and telephone numbers of three references; and
5. Any other information that the candidate wishes the search committee to consider.
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with credentials and experience. Review of applications will begin on August 14, 2017 and will continue until an appointment is made. The projected employment date could be as early as January 1, 2018. Any additional materials may be uploaded to your online application or sent to:
ATTN: Dean of the Baker School of Business Search
171 Moultrie St.
Charleston, SC 29409
Inquiries and nominations should be directed by e-mail to Dr. Mark Bebensee, Search Committee Chair (email@example.com) or phone (843) 953-5155.
The Citadel is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer actively committed to ensuring diversity in all campus employment.