Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics - Section of Gastroenterology
Professional Research Assistant (Part-time 50%)
Position # 735698 - Requisition # 10238
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The university receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver | Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
Nature of Work:
Department of Pediatrics, Section of Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition, School of Medicine is looking to fill a part-time .50% position to participate in clinical investigation with the Colorado Center for Celiac Disease. The center seeks an individual with experience in developing IRB protocols, patient recruitment and database management using REDCap and Excel. Also preferred included prior grant management skills, experience with statistical software, and EPIC experience.
The celiac center with Drs. Liu (GI) and Germone (psychology) see hundreds of children with celiac disease every year. The team is exploring the impact of celiac disease on patients and families, and will develop measures of adherence to the gluten-free diet. In addition, development and management of clinical database and biologic samples will be required as the team participates in a large-scale general population screening study for celiac disease in Colorado.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Recruitment of participants: The RA will assist the research team in identifying possible participants, will present the study to the possible participant, and complete the consent/assent process. Possible participants include children, adolescents, and their caregivers.
- Administration of psychosocial screeners: The RA will administer psychosocial screeners to research participants using REDCap and an iPad. This takes approximately 15 - 30 minutes per participant and caregiver.
- Data entry: The RA will assist with transcribing information from a research participants medical chart in EPIC to the REDCap and Microsoft Excel databases
- Database management: The RA will maintain the research database in REDCap and Microsoft Excel
- IRB Protocols: The RA will assist with creating and amending IRB protocols
Our research projects will be expanding. Additional tasks from these projects may include:
- Grant management (preparing update documents to funding sources, maintaining deadlines established by funding sources, etc.)
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $17,500-$22,500 for this part-time .50% position and is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- Bachelor's degree in Biology is required
- 2 years' experience in an academic setting
Condition of Employment:
- Must successfully pass a drug test through Children's Hospital Colorado
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check, including a Sex Offender background check.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Intermediate to Advanced Knowledge with Microsoft Office
- Enthusiasm to learn, adaptability and willingness to be an interactive team member are desired
- MS in biology or related field
- Two or more years' experience with Microsoft office (power point, excel)
- Experience in working with databases and IRB protocols
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Questions should be directed to Sandra Sarabia at email@example.com
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10238
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20936 - SOM-PEDS Gastro-GenOps
Posting Date: Jul 11, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Edwin Liu
Posting Contact Email: Edwin.firstname.lastname@example.org
Position Number: 00735698