General Description of Position: The Assistant Dean for Admissions
at Kansas State University- College of Veterinary Medicine (KSU-CVM) is responsible for the operational management of the Admissions Office and administration and implementation of the admissions process for DVM students. Primary responsibilities include oversight of admissions activities including recruitment, applications, interviews, and matriculation of veterinary students. This position will work closely with Pre-Veterinary Advisors to ensure a diverse, inclusive, academically strong candidate to advance science and improve animal and human health. The Assistant Dean for Admissions reports to the Associate Dean for Academic Programs and Student Affairs. Information about the Department: Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine is dedicated to the advancement of health and welfare of animals, people, the environment, and the veterinary profession through excellence in teaching, research, service and outreach.
We are committed to a professional degree program with broad training opportunities across a comprehensive range of companion and exotic animals, and livestock species. Our focus is on initiatives that address important societal needs at a local, national and global level.
Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community.
Works with Associate Dean for Academic Programs and Student Affairs to ensure institutional policies are met and applied. Recommends policy and procedural changes to increase the quality of the applicant/admission process and/or improve the daily functioning of the Admissions Office. Maintains professional expertise in admissions through attendance at professional meetings, review of current literature, and contact with other admissions professionals. Engages in ongoing planning and continuous quality improvement processes that establish short and long-term programmatic goals, result in achievement of measurable outcomes that are used to improve programmatic quality, and ensure effective monitoring of Admissions programs’ compliance with accreditation standards. Responsible for development of recruitment activities that promote the College of Veterinary Medicine and maximize the quality of applicants, admits, and matriculates’ with the College of Veterinary Medicine including: Organizing and hosting of recruitment events Coordinating the design, production, and distribution of accurate and effective recruitment materials to prospective applicants and other recruitment contacts Working closely with pipeline programs and providing specific oversight on those programs with a guaranteed admission component Provides applicant advising including: Responding to applicant questions and concerns regarding admissions policies, procedures, course requirements, and other related information Following-up on incomplete or inaccurate applications Researching and resolving unusual or complex problems concerning admissions Advising applicants regarding the status of their applications to include discussions regarding acceptance/denial of admissions Compiles, organizes, and reports admissions statistics to the College of Veterinary Medicine Administration. Provides marketing and public relations activities to insure the effective representation of the College of Veterinary Medicine throughout the community, the state of Kansas, and the national and international academic/veterinary communities. Serves as a liaison for the College of Veterinary Medicine to the campus, community, and national committees and projects. Works with the Associate Dean for Academic Programs and the Admissions Committee to ensure alignment of goals and priorities and analyze future student performance based on admission data. Provides leadership on issues of veterinary student diversity and inclusion with respect to student recruitment and admissions. Maintain a working knowledge of scholarship opportunities for prospective students to inform applicants about methods to reduce the cost of achieving a veterinary medical degree. Recruits, hires, and supervises student ambassadors and volunteers assisting with admissions and recruitment activities.
- Responsible for administration and management of the Admissions Office including operational planning and development, employee supervision, and budgetary management.
- Administers the functions and projects of the Office of Admission, including the interview process and recruitment functions.
- Coordinates the use of the national veterinary school application in conjunction with the Veterinary Medical College Application Service (VMCAS).
- Reviews all application for KSU College of Veterinary Medicine admission, ensuring that University and College guidelines are followed and standards maintained including:
- Evaluating individual letters of recommendation, coursework, activities, and experience of applicants to determine eligibility
- Verifying academic transcripts for authenticity, completeness, and accuracy
- Preparing all necessary documentation for selection of applicants for admissions interview
Performs other duties as assigned. Required Minimum Qualifications:
- MS and/or DVM degrees are required.
- Knowledge of diversity of career options within the veterinary profession including private and corporate practice, government, industry, academia, and uniformed services.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and demonstrated strong interpersonal skills.
- Attention to detail and organizational skills.
- Academic degree in academic advising, academic administration or veterinary medicine.
- Knowledge of best practices in health professions admission and recruitment.
- An understanding of enrollment management best practices in higher education.
- 5+ years experience in academic advising, academic administration, or academic veterinary medicine.
Special Instructions to Applicants: To apply, please submit an application along with a cover letter, CV and contact information for three professional references. Screening of Applications Begins: Screening of applications begins immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Salary Range / Pay Rate: $ 69,438 - $ 114,572 Annual Salary Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law
. Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.