Campaign - Communications
Director of Marketing & Communications Duke University - Office of University Development
The Director of Development Marketing and Communications will oversee communications, media relations and marketing strategies that support the university's highest philanthropic priorities. The director will work with development leaders and colleagues to advance annual, major, principal and deferred gifts fundraising as well as foundation relations and donor stewardship. Reporting to the Executive Director of Development Marketing and Communications, this position will serve as a senior member of the department's management team.
• Develop broad, university-wide communications strategies that support multi-year fundraising goals.
• Collaborate with gift officers, senior development leaders and university leaders to define and articulate compelling gift opportunities ranging from $100,000 to $25 million+.
• Create and execute a proposal strategy to support major gift officers, including developing proposal language, templates and other resources to augment fundraising efforts.
• Oversee the writing and production of the case for support for a variety of complex multi-school initiatives at Duke, in consultation with senior development leaders and university leadership.
• In collaboration with the graphic designer, coordinate the production of print and digital assets that represent giving to Duke, incorporating the appropriate representation of Duke's schools, programs and priorities. Work with the Director of Digital Strategy to ensure assets work across print and digital channels.
• Oversee the creation and execution of an internal communications strategy to engage and inform frontline fundraisers regarding gift announcements, industry news, resources and other relevant information.
• Collaborate with Office of News & Communications on the dissemination of news, messages, and information to donors, including announcements about gifts to Duke.
• Consult with schools and units to develop communications strategies that support priority fundraising goals that align with broader university messages.
• Oversee the editorial strategy for all development and marketing communications across a variety of channels and publications.
• Analyze effectiveness of communications strategies and present recommendations to department leadership.
• Develop messaging strategy and oversee a digital library of resources. Ensure that development messages are consistent and accurate, and align with broader university messages.
Marketing Strategy and Planning
• Create strategic marketing and communications plans for development partners such as the Annual Fund and Gift Planning. Work with the Executive Director to set objectives and measure results for marketing strategies.
• Collaborate with development leaders and colleagues to create and execute annual marketing plans including analysis, metrics, audience segmentation and tactics to drive giving across multiple channels.
• Identify and lead strategic opportunities for audience and brand research that informs or evaluates marketing plans. This may include writing and distributing alumni surveys, organizing online and in- person focus groups, extrapolating learning opportunities from case studies and peer universities, etc.
• Oversee paid advertising (print and digital) in support of fundraising and stewardship efforts.
• Partner with the digital team to execute social media, web and email marketing strategies to drive fundraising and stewardship objectives.
• Work with development leadership and colleagues to create and implement stewardship plans that reinforce the importance of giving.
• Work closely with university and development staff on the communications and marketing for major fundraising-related special events.
Management and Supervision
• Supervise writers/editors and marketing and public relations specialists.
• Hire and manage freelance writers, designers, photographers and videographers as needed. Ensure freelancers have estimates and budgets, scopes of work and contracts in place before work begins.
• Ensure each team member has development plans and clear roles and responsibilities. Meet with team members regularly and provide timely feedback, including annual and mid-year performance reviews.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor's degree and minimum five years of relevant marketing and communications work experience required
• Demonstrated excellence in message development, substantive editing, copywriting, and brand development
• Demonstrated success developing and implementing effective marketing campaigns across multiple channels, including evaluating campaign performance
• Minimum two years' experience coaching and leading direct reports to meet communications objectives required
• Experience using market/audience research to inform communications plans preferred
• Knowledge of educational fundraising, higher education issues, research universities, and Duke University preferred
• Agency experience preferred
Behavioral: Candidate must:
• Be able to set schedules, prioritize work, and manage deadlines effectively for self and for a team
• Be able to create and follow a set path to achieve goals and determine effectiveness of a given plan
• Effectively and clearly communicate thoughts, ideas, and facts through writing and oral presentations
• Develop positive relationships and work collaboratively with a variety of campus partners and development stakeholders to achieve shared objectives
• Demonstrate an ability to influence and persuade others, and facilitate communication and cooperation between major functional and stakeholder groups
• Effectively manage and guide group efforts, including providing appropriate feedback concerning group progress
INTERESTED APPLICATIONS: In addition to your online application, please submit your cover letter, resume and three writing samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "Director of Marketing and Communications" in the subject line of the email. For best consideration, please submit all materials by August 4, 2017.
CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
2781 DIR, COMMUNICATIONS
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Completion of a bachelor's degree program in Journalism, Communications,English or a related discipline.
Requires at least 5 years experience in writing,public relations,communications or related discipline.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.