Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics
University of Tennessee at Chattanooga Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics Position Description ABOUT THE UNIVERSITY
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga (UTC) is a national model for metropolitan universities with over 11,000 students. In collaboration with our many regional partners, we offer our students an experiential learning environment graced with outstanding teaching scholars in bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs.
The Chattanooga Mocs are a Division I Athletics Program which consists of more than 300 student- athletes. We compete as a member of the Southern Conference and in the Football Championship Subdivision. The Mocs sponsor 15 varsity sports and operate with a staff of approximately 85 employees and a budget of $16 million annually.
POSITION SUMMARY Reporting directly to University Chancellor and serving as a member of the Chancellor’s Executive Leadership Team, the Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics will have the opportunity to shape the vision and enhance the visibility of the University. This individual will be responsible for the oversight and planning within the athletics department in order to provide for the continued development and growth of a Division I Intercollegiate program that adheres to the rules, regulations, and policies of UTC, The Southern Conference, and the NCAA.
The new Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics will be a smart, dynamic, innovative, and ambitious leader with superior fundraising, revenue generating, and operating skills along with demonstrated experience in managing organizations. In order to attract, recruit, and develop the best student-athletes and promote overall athletic excellence, he or she will need the ability and keen insight to recruit, develop, and retain coaches as well as an excellent administrative and support team.
In addition to promoting and enhancing UTC’s athletic achievements, this individual will need to be dedicated to the understanding of and committed to the educational, social, emotional, and physical development and well-being of the student-athlete. UTC is committed to meeting the highest level of NCAA compliance and the new Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics will be expected to demonstrate and inspire high personal and professional standards of integrity and ethics. There must also be a demonstrable commitment to diversity in recruiting and retaining staff and to the support and promotion of both men’s and women’s athletics.
Athletics is seen as one of the most prominent “public faces” of the University and this new leader will have to demonstrate a commitment to UTC’s overall development, mission, and strategic planning process. It will be crucial for the new Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics to convey a sense of congeniality and consensus building in order to build relationships and unify the various internal and external constituencies such as the Provost, faculty, Athletics Board, University Trustees, the Mocs Club, alumni, boosters, and community leaders.
Ultimately, this leader must also display an ability to represent the UTC Athletics Department with great efficacy among its stakeholders, including within the Southern Conference and throughout the nation. As the University continues to grow and prosper, it looks toward the new Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics to work cooperatively with NCAA and other Conference officials in order to position UTC as a leader in intercollegiate sports.
- The Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics will provide strong leadership and fiscal responsibility in the administration of the athletic department to ensure the most effective and efficient use of personnel and financial resources.
- The Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics will oversee the planning within the department to provide for the continued development and growth of a comprehensive Division I Intercollegiate athletics program that adheres to the rules, regulations, and policies of the University and the NCAA.
- Administrative responsibilities will involve the hiring and retention of quality coaches and administrative personnel, the development of short- and long-term financial plans and budgeting, the negotiation of media and sponsorship contracts, and the coordination and oversight of athletics facilities.
- The Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics will be responsible for developing effective communications between the athletics department and multiple key University personnel.
- The Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics will also be responsible for the development, execution, and maintenance of effective marketing and promotion programs to promote a positive image of athletics and the University and aid in ticket sales and attendance at intercollegiate athletics events. These programs should provide excitement about athletics at UTC.
- The Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics will be expected to consult and interact effectively with the academic community and its leadership. Through the internal and external administration of the athletics department, he or she will ensure that student-athletes achieve academic success culminating in graduation from UTC.
YEAR ONE CRITICAL SUCCESS FACTORS
The successful candidate will have:
- Enhanced revenue and attendance through innovative fundraising, marketing, and brand development.
- Developed a meaningful relationship with, and trust among, the various UTC constituents.
- Built and maintained an excellent rapport with the internal UTC athletics staff and coaches.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE / QUALIFICATIONS
The successful candidate must have:
- A minimum of five years of professional work experience including knowledge in managing athletics departments.
- The ability to build and maintain relationships with a variety of constituents in a diverse community.
- The skills to communicate effectively, both written and oral, through a variety of media.
- Proven fundraising and revenue-generating ability and demonstrated success in implementing effective marketing and promotion programs.
- The ability to recruit outstanding coaches and staff who can, in turn, recruit the best student-athletes.
- Significant knowledge of and commitment to the enforcement of NCAA rules and regulations.
- Graduated from an accredited institution with a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree.
LEADERSHIP CHARACTERISTICS Passion for UTC’s Missions in Academics and Athletics: Display a true devotion to maintaining the University’s history of academic achievement as well as a commitment to continued outstanding athletic accomplishments by:
- Developing instant credibility with key stakeholders as an ambassador of UTC and intercollegiate athletics.
- Promoting UTC’s distinguished track record and unwavering pursuit of academic and competitive excellence.
- Listening effectively and in a fair-minded manner to all constituents and building consensus among them to create a shared vision.
- Inspiring all constituencies to achieve goals and work collectively on behalf of the University.
- Conveying confidence and enthusiasm and managing/nurturing excellent relationships with all academicians and student-athletes.
Visionary Leadership: Create a powerful mission and strategic vision for UTC with dynamic multidimensional thinking that will enhance the University with the creation of a positive environment by:
- Introducing innovative fundraising and marketing strategies to place UTC at the forefront of leadership in intercollegiate athletics.
- Understanding and applying new media technologies, particularly as it relates to media content distribution, to leverage marketing and growth opportunities.
- Creating excitement for UTC both inside and outside the campus walls.
- Building, managing, and retaining an organized, efficient, and enthusiastic team of exceptional talent, as well as creating a culture of innovation, accountability, and a commitment to achieving results.
- Projecting an unflappable and even-keeled style characterized by openness, approachability, and confidence without arrogance.
- Displaying the highest personal integrity and ethics.
Business Acumen: Ambitious entrepreneurial spirit to assess key business issues, identify and grow sustainable funding models, evaluate trends, and take decisive action to enhance the UTC brand in a highly competitive sports and entertainment environment by:
- Understanding the critical success drivers, and, if necessary, repositioning resources to create a more effective and efficient athletics department.
- Building a new business model that optimizes revenue generation and growth but keeps in mind fiscal responsibility.
- Implementing brand building initiatives that increase attendance to football, men’s basketball and women’s basketball events.
- Maximizing the visibility of UTC, regionally and nationally, by utilizing the brand and the University’s level of competition.
- Leveraging knowledge of best practices implemented by other world-class organizations both inside and outside of sports.
Effective Communication Skills: Deploy excellent communication techniques to generate trust and passion in a shared mission among all UTC stakeholders and enthusiasts for the superior achievement of objectives by:
- Communicating in an articulate, open, and sincere manner that engenders trust and effectively builds relationships with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
- Demonstrating a strong commitment to the academic standards of the University and a commitment to ensuring its integrity, equity, and diversity.
- Providing transparency to athletic department processes and keeping the Chancellor apprised of issues as soon as they develop.
- Showing an unwavering commitment to the student-athlete experience, the fans, and the alumni.
The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga invites letters of nomination, applications, or expressions of interest for the position of Vice Chancellor and Director of Athletics to be submitted directly to the firm assisting the University. Confidential review of materials will begin immediately and continue until the appointment is made. For full consideration, application materials should be submitted at Parker Executive Search’s website by July 27, 2017. For additional information please contact:
Daniel Parker, Vice President and Managing Director: email@example.com
Grant Higgison, Associate: firstname.lastname@example.org
Jaleesa Rhoden, Associate: email@example.com
Hayden Garrett, Associate: Parker Executive Search
770-804-1996, ext. 118
The University of Tennessee Chattanooga is an EEO/AA/Title VI/Title IX/Section 504/ADA/ADEA institution in the provision of its education and employment programs and services. All qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, or covered veteran status.