Bergen Community College, the number one institution in New Jersey for associate degree graduates three years in a row, serving a diverse student body on its suburban campus, has an opening for an Academic Counselor to assist students with the selection of career and curriculum choices and their requirements, aid the student in educational and life skill planning, provide academic counseling and advisement based upon the student's ability to succeed, advise students of transfer and employment opportunities, conduct academic counseling and group activities which orient the student to academic life and guide the student toward self-analysis and development and where necessary and make referrals to both on and off-campus resources and community resources. Counseling is provided under the umbrella of the Center for Student Success, the Advisement Center, in Classrooms, One-Stop, Open Houses, Orientations, and other special programs, projects and duties as assigned.
- Master's in counseling, rehabilitation counseling, clinical psychology, counseling psychology, guidance counseling, (special) education, social work, or career development.
- New Jersey LPC with NCCC credential or New Jersey LSW or LCSW preferred
- Demonstrated experience in community college counseling/advising.Counseling/teaching experience in a community college setting.
- Must have excellent computer skills, including proficiency in MS Office (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); Datatel’s Colleague preferred
- Must possess a strong level of organizational, interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills
- Must be driven to provide excellent customer service and committed to student success
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students, faculty and staff
- Demonstrated knowledge and competency in theory and principles of counseling, transfer and articulation, and career technical education counseling, assessment and testing, educational psychology and learning theory
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment performing multiple tasks and projects while attending to the immediate needs of members of the campus community
- Must be a detail oriented, self-starter with ability to work independently with little to no supervision and as a team in a collaborative manner
- Ability to exercise good judgment, as well as, ability to understand and follow established protocols
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive information
- Demonstrated experience with outreach and recruiting; ability to work effectively with local community, students and staff
- Bilingual/bicultural experience preferred
Application materials will be accepted until position is filled. All interested candidates should send a letter of intent (including the job code F-COUNSELOR), curriculum vitae, copies of transcripts, salary requirements, and three professional letters of reference with current contact information. Send materials by e-mail with the appropriate job code in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bergen Community College
Department of Human Resources
400 Paramus Road, Room A-316
Paramus, New Jersey 07652
EOE/NJ First Act Employer
Smoke-Free and Drug-Free Workplace