Coordinator for Marketing and Recruiting – KAMS (R-0347)
POSITION DESCRIPTION: This position oversees the Kansas Academy of Mathematics and Science (KAMS) efforts to recruit highly talented students from all socioeconomic backgrounds throughout the state. The Coordinator oversees the admissions process including the initial evaluation of applications. The Coordinator identifies external opportunities for KAMS student involvement. The Coordinator establishes and maintains strong working relationships with prospective students, parents, and high school personnel.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Bachelor’s Degree
- Professional marketing experience (print and social media)
- Experience working with high school students, teachers, and administrators
- Professional public speaking experience
APPOINTMENT DATE: August 14, 2017
APPLICATION DEADLINE: Priority Deadline is July 17, 2017. Review of applications will begin after the priority deadline and continue until the position has filled.
SALARY: Commensurate with experience.
BENEFITS: Competitive benefit package http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/Prospective-Employees/
- Develop and implement appropriate marketing and recruitment strategies.
- Communication of information concerning KAMS, the University’s academic programs, and admission requirements to prospective students, parents, and high school personnel.
- Work with the Director to direct the process of the admissions committee in the selection of new students.
- Develop and implement strategies to increase and maintain a highly qualified prospect pool of high school students.
- Conduct statewide information sessions and site visits to stimulate interest in KAMS.
- Oversee and design the contact database, alumni activities, and student ambassador program.
- Assist with programs for student life, student programming designed to enhance student learning and development, student housing and physical environment.
- Plan and coordinate major activities such as pre-enrollment days, Preview Days, Informational Sessions, etc.
- Identify and coordinate involvement in academic/extracurricular competitions.
- Identify and coordinate opportunities for internships, field trips, & excursions.
- Assist KAMS Director with outside stakeholders, including K-12 personnel, governing bodies, other universities, and relevant educational organizations.
- Night and weekend work as needed.
REQUIRED APPLICATION DOCUMENTS: Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and names and contact information for three professional references. Please submit all documents in one PDF.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position, please visit the Human Resource Office webpage at http://www.fhsu.edu/humanresourceoffice/ and click on Employment Opportunities. Only electronic applications submitted through the webpage will be accepted.
If you have questions regarding the position, please contact:
Name: Roger Schieferecke
ABOUT THE DEPARTMENT:
KAMS is an early-entry-to college program that allows academically talented and motivated high school juniors and seniors who are interested in math and science to live at Fort Hays State University and attend a residential academy. Students admitted to KAMS earn over 60 hours of college credit and graduate from their sending high school.
ABOUT FORT HAYS STATE UNIVERSITY:
Forward Thinking. World Ready - Fort Hays State University is a highly entrepreneurial teaching focused institution with major operations on-campus, online and in China. Providing a high-quality education at an affordable price, FHSU is ranked by the Chronicle of Higher Education as one of the top ten fastest growing universities in the U.S. It has an enrollment in excess of 14,000 students (Approximately 5,000 on campus, 3,500 in China, and over 6,000 online) and over 380 full time faculty. Bachelors, masters and professional doctoral degrees are offered through five colleges, the Graduate School, the Honors College, the Virtual College, and various international partnerships. Fort Hays State University's award-winning Virtual College coordinates distance education to the U.S. Armed Services and students in over 20 countries. The Virtual College has received many accolades, including U.S. News & World Report Online Programs rankings, GetEducated.com, Best Buys in Education, among others. Students at FHSU may select a major field of study from 30 departments. FHSU is fully accredited by several national agencies, and is one of six state-assisted institutions of higher education governed by a Board of Regents appointed by the governor of the state of Kansas. The website StateUniversity.com ranked the Fort Hays State campus as the safest in the state of Kansas.
The University has rich sports and cultural programming, all of which enjoy tremendous community support. The Beach/Schmidt Performing Arts Center is home to the Encore Series, which hosts many travelling Broadway shows, the Hays Symphony, university and other national and world-caliber performances. Fort Hays State University athletic events provide NCAA Division II athletic entertainment.
ABOUT HAYS, KS:
FHSU is located in Hays, a vibrant university community of approximately 22,000, located half way between Kansas City and Denver on Interstate 70. Hays has received numerous recent accolades such as being voted an All-American City, second best city in the state to raise children, and also the third best small college town in America. It is the regional center for education, health care, professional services, shopping, culture, and recreation for the western half of Kansas – serving a population of nearly 400,000. Hays boasts excellent recreational facilities including the comprehensive Center for Health Improvement, Hays Aquatic Park, the Sternberg Museum of Natural History, Smoky Hill Country Club, Hays Municipal Golf Course, an extensive recreational program, and excellent opportunities for walking, running, and biking. Hays is within 45 minutes of two large lakes providing boating, fishing, and camping. The Hays Municipal Airport provides connecting service to Denver with several flights daily. The community has award-winning public and private schools. With over 60 restaurants, robust retail outlets, one of the lowest unemployment rates and commute times in the U.S., the city provides a safe, very friendly, low-cost, high-quality living environment.
Notice of Non-discrimination – Fort Hays State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, religion, national origin, color, age, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, disability or veteran status.
Background Check: Final candidate will have consented to and successfully completed a criminal background check.
Notice to KPERS retirees applying for a position: Recent legislation changes working-after-retirement rules for both you and your employer if you go back to work for a KPERS employer. Please contact your KPERS representative or www.kpers.org for further information on how this might affect you.