Senior Web Developer
Position ID: #6251
Title: Senior Web Developer (Drupal)
Term: 12 months
Department: University Marketing and Communications (UMC)
The Senior Web Developer will assist in leading the foundational web development required for Case Western Reserve University’s implementation of Drupal as a content management system. The Developer will be responsible for Drupal front-end development, theming and site-building, as well as Drupal back-end development. The developer will have extensive collaboration among individuals with skills ranging from web development and design to information architecture, user experience, web writing and other functions related to the creation of compelling and dynamic digital experiences.
- Work collaboratively as part of a cross-functional team to plan, design develop, and implement a web content management system that showcases Case Western Reserve University’s distinctive strengths in a dynamic and compelling way. Contribute constructively to office and team brainstorming, planning and implementation discussions. Facilitate interaction with colleagues, supervisor, university constituents outside UMC and vendors supporting the university’s digital presence. Lead others through the development, configuration, migration, integration, testing and maintenance of Drupal websites. In collaboration with colleagues and supervisor, ensure that CWRU sites within the Drupal content management conform to university brand standards (including responsive design), federal law regarding accessibility, and UMC protocols for functionality and usability. Work with other members to establish web architectural standards and patterns. Engage productively in the web team’s Agile development process, effectively estimating time-to-completion for project tasks and working efficiently to produce tangible deliverables. 25%
- Develop and customize Drupal themes and sub–themes; build page layouts with content and blocks, build navigation with menus and toolbars, create content types, and perform code reviews. Design and develop a Drupal solution for support releases and develop ideas for improving and extending the solution, including modules. Develop and produce documentation of web applications including requirements and design documents, code documentation, user documentation and other reports as needed. Lead implementation and testing for new Drupal websites. Maintain, support and develop migration plans for legacy CMS and code base. 25%
- Administer the university's Drupal content management system and associated web systems. Implement views, taxonomies, and references. Ensure protection and security of data that is accessed, collected, or stored by web applications and databases. Investigate, diagnose, and resolve production issues with a quick turnaround time and communicate root cause and workaround options to team members and clients. Provide advanced technical support to various university web developers as they learn Drupal. 25%
- Monitor university websites within Drupal in partnership with Acquia for security vulnerabilities, assess the criticality, and patch appropriately. Use industry best practices in software development processes, including change management, supporting backlog prioritization, level of effort estimates, sprint planning, unit-testing, and continuous integration. Analyze logs, performance data, and other metrics to ensure system uptime and stability. Research and implement technologies to optimize web server architecture. 25%
Perform other duties as assigned.
Department: Contact with vice president, directors and all department staff.
University: Contact with faculty and staff in colleges and management centers.
External: Contact with outside vendors and consultants.
Students: Some contact with students.
No direct supervisory responsibility for staff employees.
Experience: 5 years of experience configuring, developing, integrating, and maintaining new, complex and custom web-facing Drupal sites, modules, and themes, preferably in an academic environment. Prefer experience with Drupal 8.
Education: Bachelor's degree required, in IT-related field preferred.
- Experience with server platforms and Web server software, networking, and security architecture and implementation.
- Knowledge of OOP principles in PHP 5.x and greater.
- Expert understanding of Drupal database structure and schema. Expert knowledge of Drupal theme development in Drupal 7 and willingness to translate that to version 8. Expert knowledge of common Drupal 7 & 8 modules such as CTools, Views, and Panels, Paragraphs, Organic Groups, Simple SAML, Panels, Display Suite, or Context and extending them through code.
- Comfortable building Drupal sites from scratch. Understanding of Drupal modules and how they operate. Ability to configure Drupal 7 and create custom Drupal modules using the core API. Knowledge of the Drupal hook system and API.
- Fundamental knowledge of Gulp, Git or other version-control software.
- Understanding of command line (SSH, Drush, etc.)
- Knowledge of deployment processes (DeployHQ, Jenkins, Beanstalk, etc.)
- Working knowledge with RESTful Web Services
- Working knowledge in an Agile development environment.
- Working knowledge with test-driven development and unit testing tools.
- Demonstrated knowledge migrating existing CMS content into Drupal via the Migrate module.
- Demonstrated knowledge configuring users, roles, and permissions.
- Familiarity with technical issues that can emerge in web development and ability to work constructively with various development teams.
- Mastery of and commitment to apply web development best practices, such as responsive design, progressive enhancement and graceful degradation.
- Excellent project management, time management, and organizational skills (plan and implement projects according to specifications, report project statuses, identify delays or resource shortages).
- Ability to collaborate constructively with others to solve problems and share knowledge.
- Work independently, to meet deadlines, adapt to shifting priorities, and manage multiple projects at one time.
- Ability to exercise good judgment and make sound decisions.
- Ability to prioritize key tasks when confronted with limited time and/or resources
- Basic understanding of Acquia Cloud Site Factory (ACSF) environment.
- Prefer proficiency with Grunt/Gulp, Twig Template Engine, and awareness of interface design standards, information architecture, user experience and web accessibility as it relates to developing sites.
General office environment. Will perform repetitive motion using computer mouse and keyboard. Rare emergency situations required. Some night and weekend work will be required.
In employment, as in education, Case Western Reserve University is committed to Equal Opportunity and Diversity. Women, veterans, members of underrepresented minority groups, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Case Western Reserve University provides reasonable accommodations to applicants with disabilities. Applicants requiring a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the Office of Inclusion, Diversity and Equal Opportunity at 216-368-8877 to request a reasonable accommodation. Determinations as to granting reasonable accommodations for any applicant will be made on a case-by-case basis.
CWRU offers a flexible benefits package including tuition waiver for employees and dependents; Respond in confidence, including salary history : CASE WESTERN RESERVE UNIVERSITY, Human Resources Job Code #6251 apply to: jobs.case.edu.