Administative Assistant I, Interdisciplinary Studies
Administative Assistant I, Interdisciplinary Studies
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at Bridgewater State University is where we study what it is to be human, to be creative, to function in groups and as individuals. Everything from music to philosophy to languages counts as humanities, while the social sciences include political science, economics, anthropology, and much more. Courses in arts, humanities, and social science disciplines are based in the College, and the research and creative activity undertaken by the College’s faculty ranges from cognitive neuropsychology to metal sculpture to literary criticism, among many other specialties.
The College of Humanities and Social Sciences houses a number of faculty-led initiatives. This position will assist faculty coordinators with administrative tasks necessary in the facilitation of programs in American Studies, Ethnic and Indigenous Studies, Childhood Studies, Women's and Gender Studies, Film Studies, Center for Sustainability, The Bridgewater Review, The Bridge, and other interdisciplinary programs as needed.
Position Type: AFSCME Classified
• Assist faculty coordinators with scheduling and/or arranging meetings, conferences, interviews, appointments, or similar program activities; check availability of and reserve required facilities, check the availability of participants; notify appropriate individuals of dates, times, and locations; record and distribute minutes of meetings.
• Provide support during events as needed.
• Organize hospitality needs and maintain communication with on and off-campus groups and individuals. Answer telephone calls and provide information or make referrals, maintain program participation records, and assist with the preparation of ad hoc reports.
• Make travel arrangements for guest speakers and process reimbursement materials according to standard procedures.
• Work closely with both the Budget Manager for Academic Affairs and the Office of Procurement Services, track and monitor budget information using the Banner system, maintain accurate spreadsheets of expenditures for various accounts, place orders online, assist in the collection of revenue, prepare vendor contracts according to standard procedures, prepare requisitions and purchase orders.
• Update webpages of various programs.
• Periodically provide support/ assistance to academic department administrative assistants with in the College as assigned.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Must have at least (A) two years of full-time, or equivalent part-time, experience in office management, office administration, business administration or business management, the major duties of which included one or more of the following functions: purchasing, personnel management, budgeting, accounting, records management, work simplification, grants management, contract administration or program management, or (B) any equivalent combination of the required experience and the substitutions listed in MA State Job Specifications.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of office management
• Ability to analyze and determine the applicability of data, to draw conclusions and to make appropriate recommendations.
• Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
• Ability to write concisely, to express thoughts clearly and to develop ideas in logical sequence.
• Ability to assemble items of information in accordance with established procedures.
• Ability to determine proper format and procedure for assembling items of information.
• Ability to maintain accurate records.
• Ability to communicate effectively in oral expression.
• Ability to deal tactfully with others.
• Ability to exercise sound judgment.
• Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
• Ability to establish rapport and maintain harmonious working relationships with persons from varied ethnic, cultural and/or economic backgrounds.
State Job Specifications are available in the Human Resources Office or on the Human Resources website -www.bridgew.edu/hr.
• Bachelor’s degree
• Excellent communication and organizational skills
• Ability to prioritize multiple demands.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite
• Knowledge of BANNER
• Previous experience in a higher education setting
Bridgewater State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employee with disabilities.
Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 5 pounds.
Special Conditions for Eligibility:
Please be aware that employment at Bridgewater State University is contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
Salary Range: $1,608.86 bi-weekly (Grade 15, Step 1)
Posting Number: S00230P
Open Date: 07/10/2017
Close Date: 7/21/2017
Open Until Filled: No
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Please note the following information is required to complete your application for this position:
*a minimum of one (1) employment history entry.
*a minimum of three (3) professional reference entries.
To apply, visit https://jobs.bridgew.edu/postings/7403
Bridgewater State University (BSU) is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer which actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people.