Adjunct Faculty, Japanese - Arts, Humanities & Social Sciences
The Department of Languages & Literatures is an undergraduate department offering nine modern languages, including majors in French, German, Italian, Russian, and Spanish, minors in those languages plus Chinese, Hebrew, Japanese, and Latin, and electives in Arabic and classical Greek.
The Department of Languages and Literatures seeks qualified individuals to join our adjunct hiring pool for future, part-time teaching assignments in Japanese at the University of Denver.
Adjunct Faculty members in Japanese teach 4-credit undergraduate courses at the introductory level. The specific courses involved may vary from quarter to quarter and openings to teach these courses develop on a periodic basis, depending on department teaching needs.
Some of the Adjunct Faculty's responsibilities include teaching 1-2 classes per quarter, grading and returning assignments in a timely manner, reporting grades, preparing class materials, holding office hours, providing guidance and support to students, replying to email communication from students and colleagues, and participating in occasional program meetings. The Adjunct Faculty member will work collaboratively with other instructors, help to prepare exams, and offer oral exams outside of class time as appropriate.
- MA in Japanese or closely related field.
- Native or near-native fluency in Japanese and English.
- College teaching experience substantiated by letters of recommendations.
- Demonstrated experience or evidence of a commitment to incorporate inclusive teaching methods and/or pedagogies to effectively engage broadly diverse student populations.
Position is open until filled, but applications received after August 1, 2017 are not assured of consideration.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. For questions about this position, please contact Brandon Kendrick at
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter
- Two letters of reference.
- A link to an unedited teaching video clip of an elementary Japanese class (maximum 15 min.), or 2-3 activities or projects that reflect your teaching philosophy together with a sample syllabus for the introductory level language class.
Letters of recommendation and video clip links can be emailed or mailed to:University of Denver, Department of Languages and Literatures ATTN: Ingrid Weyher, Assistant to the Chair2100 East Asbury, Sturm Hall 391FDenver, CO 80208-0931
PLEASE NOTE: For non-U.S. citizens or permanent residents interested in applying and who will need immigration sponsorship for this position, please contact Marcy Cozzens, Manager of Recruiting Services at
The University of Denver is committed to enhancing the diversity of its faculty and staff and encourages applications from women, minorities, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and veterans. The University is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer.
All offers of employment are based upon satisfactory completion of a criminal history background check.
More jobs like this
- Community & Government Relations jobs in Arts & Humanities
- Community & Government Relations jobs in Fine & Performing Arts
- Community & Government Relations jobs in Foreign Languages & Literature
- Community & Government Relations jobs in Professional Fields
- Community & Government Relations jobs in Social Work