Professional Tutor - Writing Specialist
Aurora University is an independent, comprehensive institution founded in 1893 offering bachelor's, master's, and doctoral degrees. Our two campuses are located in Aurora, Illinois and on the shores of Geneva Lake in Wisconsin. Additionally, we have an Educational Center in Woodstock, Illinois. We seek people passionately involved in the educational process who will help us realize our vision.
Position Purpose: The writing specialist supports learning by providing professional tutoring and academic support to students at all levels of the University. Specialists are primarily engaged in assisting students with academic writing across all disciplines, but they may assist students with comprehension and research as well. This is a 9-month position working approximately 10-20 hours per week.
- Represents Aurora University in the most positive manner with prospective, former and current students, clients, suppliers and the community we serve. Interacts effectively with a diverse group of faculty, staff, students and other customers of our service, learns and uses operating practices of the department and Aurora University.
- Upholds the Mission Statement: Aurora University an inclusive community dedicated to the transformative power of learning.
- Handle confidential information with tact and discretion.
- Supports learning through performance of essential job functions and performing other duties and functions as necessary or as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides patient, responsive tutoring in all elements of the writing process across all academic disciplines; tutoring may take place in small group settings, but generally sessions are one-on-one.
- Instructs students in documentation styles, citations and integration of research into essays; possesses particular knowledge of MLA style and APA style.
- Performs outreach to students in need of additional academic support.
- Utilizes technology to monitor utilization of services, provides tutoring, and performs outreach to students in need of additional academic support.
- Offers workshops or seminars on writing, revision or documentation.
- Communicates effectively with faculty about course expectations and assignments; responds to faculty concerns and suggestions; coordinates with other Academic Support Center staff members.
- Assists the director in fulfilling the everyday tasks of the Academic Support Center, including the front desk, proctoring tests, and helping students utilize campus resources.
Essential Job Requirements:
- Master’s degree in the humanities or social sciences required.
- Experience in higher education strongly preferred.
- Able to utilize excellent interpersonal skills, including the ability to listen with empathy and respect, communicate clearly, and convey courtesy, patience, sincerity and a desire to help.
- Able to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and faculty, characterized by cooperation, attention to detail, flexibility, reliability, efficiency and personal responsibility.
- Able to maintain confidentiality with tact and discretion in regard to student records, the nature of a student’s Academic Support Center appointments, and, if applicable, disability.
- Able to interact with diverse personalities and populations with respect and sensitivity.
- Able to handle testing materials and administer tests with integrity and strict adherence to instructions.
- Able to utilize technology including social media effectively.
- Ability to work various shifts weekdays during the hours of 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM desirable
- Sitting or standing at desk/worktable with student(s); moving about the office; moving about the campus.
Benefit-eligible positions offer excellent benefits including health, dental, life, vision, long term disability, a 403(b) retirement plan through TIAA, and tuition remission included. Please send resume with cover letter and contact information for three references including name, telephone and email address.
347 South Gladstone Ave
Aurora, IL 60506
630-844-5650 - fax
firstname.lastname@example.org - email
Aurora University is an Equal Opportunity Employer.