Full-time, 35 hours per week, year round position, grade 16, hourly rate commensurate with experience and qualifications
The Receptionist/Administrative Assistant in the Loeb Center for Career Exploration and Planning provides front desk/receptionist and administrative support in order to ensure effective and efficient customer service in accordance with the mission and purpose of the college. The position interacts with a broad array of constituents including, students, staff, faculty, alumni, recruiters, employers, parents, prospective students, and the general public.
The Receptionist takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
- Greet guests as they arrive at the Loeb Center
- Provide a professional, welcoming, and inclusive environment to all who visit
- Answer incoming calls and direct them as indicated
- Schedule appointments and assist with the management of advisors' calendars
- Provide information about the Loeb Center, campus, and community resources
- Distribute informational handouts
- Enter data in various systems (e.g. Excel, Symplicity, Access, Colleague, Google)
- Perform duties, including but not limited to, filing, sorting mail, maintaining periodicals, creating/updating spreadsheets and Word documents
- Maintain readiness of the common areas (e.g. event and interview rooms, Peer Career Advisor space, front desk, waiting area, and kitchen) within the Loeb Center
- Maintain Loeb Center library materials
- Assists with various other office duties and special projects as assigned
- Associates degree, or in lieu of a degree, 3 years of related experience
- 1 year of related experience
- Working knowledge of MS Office programs
- Excellent problem solving, organizational, and time management skills including the ability to manage multiple, concurrent tasks/activities with demanding timeframes and transition quickly between them
- Excellent verbal and written communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills
- Able to work in a fast pace environment with frequent interruptions
- Experience working in an academic environment
- Experience working with an electronic record keeping system
Interested candidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (e-mail and/or telephone number) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 49 states, plus D.C., Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands, and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst a great place to work, learn and live!