Auxiliary Services - DIRECTOR OF GENERAL SERVICES
Vacancy ID S2140 Job Title DIRECTOR OF GENERAL SERVICES Department Auxiliary Services School/Parent Organization Finance and Administration Parent Org Division Finance and Administration Division Employment Category Fulltime-Regular Anticipated start date 10/30/2017 If temporary, expected end date Hours per week 37.5 Weeks Per Year 52.2 Normal Start Time 8:30 AM Normal End Time 5:00 PM Position/Job Summary
Provide leadership and direction to the Office of General Services through the Center for Print Production and Mail Services and management of leased equipment contracts for the campus community. Oversee and ensure cost effective and the efficient production of print jobs and management of the campus mail services operations. Ensure all General Services operations are in compliance with State, Federal, and Local regulatory agencies and college policies, rules and regulations. Develop and manage departmental operational and capital budgets and supervise college archives.
1. Oversee and direct the management and operation of the Center for Print Production, Mail Services including the postal substation and mail rooms, leased equipment contracts, and archiving activities. Develop and administer policies and procedures, establish and improve management strategies to maximize efficiency and cost effectiveness, approve service enhancements, and ensure compliance with all State, Federal, and Local regulatory agencies and college policies and procedures.
2. Lead campus-wide strategic planning for printing, copying and mailing services based on financial analysis, industry trends, and university needs.
3. Oversee the negotiation of contracts with vendors and obtain best rates/service for the college.
4. Assure financial stability for Printing and Mailing Services by reviewing management financial reports, adjusting prices, controlling costs, and addressing new needs or markets as appropriate.
5. Ensure compliance with copyright use standards for the university, including compliance with the HEOA textbook provisions.
6. Interface with clients to ensure satisfaction, including time and cost effective procedures or other problem solving situations.
7. Oversee and ensure appropriate research and preparation of proposals for purchase of state-of-the-art printing presses, copiers, and mail processing and automation equipment; review and approve all vendor invoices for payment; assess new technologies.
8. Ensure training in the safe operation and use of equipment, hardware and software used within the Center for Print Production, Mail Services and archives. Oversee development and implementation of cross training opportunities for staff assigned within General Services.
9. Negotiate in collaboration with the Procurement Office, college wide leased equipment contracts for copiers, faxes, and other general office equipment; review and negotiate service and maintenance contracts and manage renewal of contracts and agreements. Ensure best service at minimal cost and determine and implement appropriate replacement schedules.
10. Supervise the college archive activities;, coordinate collection, storage, retrieval and destruction of archived documents.
11. Develop goals and objectives for the delivery and cost effective operation of the Center for Print Production and Mail Services operations. Develop comprehensive budget(s); monitor operational expenses, and authorize reallocation or utilization of budgeted funds.
12. Prepare and conduct performance reviews, and identify goals and objectives, and development opportunities for staff within all areas of General Services. Recommend various personnel actions such as hiring, training, merit increases, promotions, transfers and dismissals; approve vacation and other time off requests.
13. Assist the Center for Print Production and Mail Service operations during peak times or staff paid time away to complete daily objectives.
14. Assist the Executive Director of Auxiliary Services on projects as needed.
Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 5 years management and supervisory experience or the equivalent combination of education and experience; demonstrated leadership skills, budget oversight and development, strong communication, and strong organizational and analytical skills are required.
Experience writing and negotiating service contracts, familiarity with on-line accounting systems and on-line requisition systems; general knowledge of printing operations, state of the art printing presses and duplicating networked production devises; knowledge and understanding of the United States Postal Service, United Parcel Service, and other express mail services and a valid New York State Driver's license are preferred.
Previous experience working in a college or university setting is preferred.
Ithaca College is committed to building a diverse academic community and encourages members of underrepresented groups to apply. Experience that contributes to the diversity of the college is appreciated.
Instructions for submitting your application:
Interested applicants must apply online at http://ithaca.edu/jobs/ and attach a resume, cover letter and list of three professional references. Questions about online application should be directed to the Office of Human Resources at (607) 274-8000. Screening of applications will begin immediately.
Work authorization (select one): Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position Department description College Description
At Ithaca College, a comprehensive residential campus community of 6,500 students, we strive to be at the forefront of the higher education landscape. Our strategic plan, IC 20/20, positions us to offer a distinct integrative learning experience that makes students ready for the personal, professional, and global challenges of our age.
We seek candidates who embrace integrative learning and want to be a part of this exciting time in Ithaca College history. We encourage creative collaboration and innovation in our faculty and staff, providing support and resources for them to grow in their fields and lead students to their own innovative ideas and achievements.
We welcome different ways of thinking and look for candidates with unique points of view and life experiences. We are inclusive of individuals with a wide range of cultural, personal, and professional backgrounds, talents, and skills. Our campus is a vibrant and rewarding community where diverse minds can learn, succeed, and excel.
When reviewing candidates, we are looking for indicators of a number of core competencies. Prospective candidates must be adaptable, collaborative, inclusive, respectful, responsive, results driven, and sustainable. They must communicate effectively, demonstrate leadership, exhibit professional integrity and ethics, take initiative, value personal and professional development, and show that they will engage in the college.
Nestled in the heart of New York State's scenic Finger Lakes region, Ithaca College sits atop South Hill overlooking picturesque Cayuga Lake and is just minutes away from the city center. Combining small town warmth and charm with the vibrancy of a college community, the thriving and culturally diverse city of Ithaca has been rated by Kiplinger's as one of the top 10 places to live in the United States.
To learn more about Ithaca College, visit us at http://ithaca.edu
Market Hiring Range $60,000 to $65,000 FLSA Status Exempt Is this position eligible for benefits? Yes
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter
- Reference List
- Letter of Recommendation (2)
- Letter of Recommendation (3)
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).