Outreach Coordinator - Materials Research Laboratory (A1700422)
Frederick Seitz Materials Research Laboratory
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Description: The Seitz Materials Research Laboratory (MRL) seeks an Outreach Coordinator to develop, coordinate, and execute the education and outreach efforts of large research centers housed within the MRL. This is a program development/management position with administrative support available.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Coordinate outreach activities as required by grant agencies including summer research experience for undergraduate students.
- Coordinate workshops for MRL research teams of faculty, post-docs, and graduate students on topics such as science communication, public engagement, and best practices in STEM outreach.
- Create and review content and curricular materials for educational programs for external audiences and community engagement activities for diverse public audiences.
- Manage collection of data for outreach/education projects and participate in data analysis and center reporting activities.
- Analyze data from past programs to evaluate impact for future outreach and education.
- Engage in design, management, implementation, and evaluation of outreach activities such as curriculum development, module development, and science outreach activities, as well as design of evaluation programs.
- Work with Illinois I-STEM to assess and evaluate effectiveness of materials developed; ensure program leads have information to make informed, data-driven decisions for content creation
- Work directly with faculty, students, and staff involved for organizational and logistical decisions for all outreach activities.
- Work with faculty, departments and other units to develop new outreach efforts and provide improvements to existing outreach programs.
- Implement a Diversity Strategic Plan to recruit, retain, and advance students underrepresented in STEM
- Make recommendations for budgets related to Outreach and Educational activities, and ensure that programs stay within budget
- Occasional travel for recruitment and other grant mission-related tasks
- Assist with annual grant reports, summaries, and renewals as required by grant agencies
- Assume other appropriate related outreach activities to further the mission of the laboratory.
Required Education: Bachelors degree in a STEM field. Alternate Bachelors degree fields will be considered with equivalent experience depending upon the nature and depth of the experience as it relates to this position.
Preferred Education: Masters or PhD in a STEM field.
- At least one year of applicable experience working in a technical or analytical field such as professional employment or graduate/post-doctoral research experience in a STEM discipline.
- Experience working with engagement programs accessible to a wide audience.
- Leadership and program management skills.
- Must possess excellent verbal communications, interpersonal, organizational, and teamwork/leadership skills.
- Demonstrated ability to perform with a professional demeanor in a diverse and fast-paced work environment consisting of multiple and changing priorities, under minimal supervision.
Preferred Experience: Experience in interacting with faculty and students, and in workforce management as it relates to STEM.
- Proficiency in standards, principles, practices, and processes related to STEM.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Commitment to increasing diversity.
Salary will be commensurate with experience and qualifications. This position is a 12-month, 100% full-time academic professional appointment with regular University benefits. The proposed starting date is September 1, 2017 and is negotiable after the close date.
Please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your letter of interest (including email address), resume and contact information for three professional letters of reference by August 14, 2017. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. All requested information must be submitted for your application to be considered. For further information regarding the application procedures, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University's commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu
College Name or Administrative Unit: Engineering
Category: Academic Professional
Title: Outreach Coordinator - Materials Research Laboratory (A1700422)
Open Date: 07/10/2017
Close Date: 08/14/2017
Organization Name: Materials Research Lab