Requisition # 2017-7703
Department Library - Main
Category Communications and Public Relations
Date Posted 7/10/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
The Communications Assistant position will provide support to Princeton University Library's Communications Manager in day-to-day communications and marketing activities. This is an exciting opportunity for a highly-organized individual with strong writing, social media and people skills. It is a dynamic, fast-paced, high volume environment, requiring a positive attitude and flexible mindset.
Princeton University Library is a central hub of University research, teaching and learning activity, serving students, faculty, staff, visiting scholars, alumni, the community and other audiences. With more than 350 employees in 10 locations (including the main location, The Harvey S. Firestone Memorial Library), effective internal and external communications are vital to creating and maintaining the highest quality service for our patrons in support of the University's mission.
The Library communications program is newly formed with strategic planning and myriad initiatives underway for both internal and external communications. This is a newly created position.
Embracing change and exploring best practices for fostering a culture of inclusion and unity are key communications goals. Collaboration and supportive teamwork are essential to success in this position.
- Assist with tracking and organizing Library news and information in support of strategic communications and marketing plan
- Interact with staff across Library
- Assist with publications program (both electronic and print), including proofreading
- Update Library website and staff intranet site (news items and communications-related content)
- Coordinate with staff photographer: archive images to server; maintain photo library
- Post on Library social media accounts and coordinate with main Office of Communications social media team in support of Social Media Plan
- Track social media stats and prepare reports for data-drive decision making
- Update databases and media lists
- Post Library events information to OIT timeline system and other University calendars
- Attend events; take photos at events
- Draft press releases and other communications tools
- Write news stories and articles for Library website, staff newsletter, and other media
- Prepare staff newsletter in e-communications software (such as Direct Mail for Mac, Mailchimp, Constant Contact)
- Update template materials in InDesign
- Other tasks as required
- 1-3 years related experience
- Demonstrated writing and proofreading skills; final candidates will be asked to submit a writing sample
- Strong attention to details and highly organized
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite: InDesign, Illustrator, PhotoShop
- Experience with CMS software
- BA in English, Journalism, Communications or related subject
- Photography experience
- Web coding (Drupal, WordPress) experience
- Experience using and conducting research at academic libraries
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.