Associate Vice President for Advancement Operations
Reporting to the Vice President for Advancement and serving as a member of the Advancement senior management team, the Associate Vice President for Advancement Operations is responsible for leading administrative and financial operations, database use and management, data integrity, software use and management, prospect research, and all related policies. This position requires a strong commitment to Guilford College, unquestioned integrity, a keen sense of confidentiality, exemplary written and oral communication skills, a professional demeanor and appearance, demonstrated skills in effectively managing challenging situations, attention to details, diplomacy, exceptional knowledge of the College’s policies and procedures, and excellent judgment.
Perform the duties and responsibilities of this role at all times in a fashion that supports the College’s commitment to creating an inclusive college of academic excellence where a variety of people and perspectives are welcome, and to providing an environment where people from all races, ethnicities, national origins, genders, sexual orientations and backgrounds may succeed.
Duties and Responsibilities
Provide oversight for all advancement operations (advancement services, data entry, data management, data integrity, database management), prospect research, and budgeting for the Advancement division, including:
• Work collaboratively with the Vice President for Advancement and the Advancement senior management team to implement the Advancement Plan.
• Create, maintain, document, and update administrative systems and policies to manage daily operations for Advancement, including contract and expense filing systems, travel guidelines, leave requests/reporting, supply requests, and needs for the office.
• Supervise staff, create clear expectations, build a culture of competence and confidence, provide guidance, lead and manage the team in Advancement Operations.
• Collaborate with Vice President for Advancement and other Advancement colleagues to create and enhance the culture of philanthropy on campus with the goal of helping students, faculty/staff, and alumni understand the significance of contributions to Guilford College.
• In tandem with the Vice President for Advancement and other members of the Advancement senior management team, lead the process to forecast, prepare, and implement divisional budget. Provide financial and fiscal support for department budgets, technology budgets and other needed fiscal analysis.
o Oversee the daily fiscal operations for the Advancement division, ensuring compliance with the College, state, and federal laws, policies and procedures. Ensure compliance with federal and state laws, Donor Bill of Rights, CAE and AFP and CASE and other industry guidelines.
o With direction from the Vice President for Advancement, lead the development and management of the Advancement division budget; review, generate, and create budget reports; review invoices, reimbursement requests, travel forms, check requests, and expense reports for accuracy and compliance with College policies.
o Assist Vice President for Advancement and Advancement senior management team in the budgeting process with planning, projections, adjustments and reporting as needed.
o Manage administrative inquires, audits, requests from the President’s Office and other key executive managers.
• Work in tandem with other Advancement colleagues to initiate and maintain a user-friendly CRM database that meets the needs and expectations of fundraising, alumni relations, donor relations and stewardship, and advancement communications staff.
o Conduct a thorough analysis of the current database, in collaboration with colleagues in Advancement and IT&S, to determine its efficacy and make a documented case for an alternate system should that be the recommendation of this process.
o Lead the migration process for all data to be transferred correctly, seamlessly, and quickly from current database to the new CRM.
o Oversee the creation and distribution of reports for Advancement colleagues, Board of Trustees, President’s office and other internal and external constituents as needed.
• Create and implement a robust system for timely and accurate recording and reporting of all gifts (cash, in-kind, credit card, stocks, bequests, etc.) that allows for timely and efficient thank you letters, information sharing with Advancement colleagues, and other internal/external constituents.
• Oversee the creation and implementation of a robust and clear prospect research policy that adheres to ethical and legal guidelines while following best practice and industry recommendations (APRA, AFP, and CASE).
• Ensure a seamless process for reconciliation of gifts with Finance and Administration division.
• Create and distribute all budgetary and financial reports as directed by the Vice President for Advancement.
• In tandem with Vice President for Advancement and Vice President for Administration and Finance, develop a thorough and clear process for creation and distribution of endowment reports on an annual basis.
• Lead special projects at the request of the Vice President for Advancement, which may include campus research, analysis, and/or planning. Coordinate collaborative efforts campus-wide, disseminating information, coordinating efforts across the division and with constituents.
• Manage Advancement benchmarks and prepare regular comparison and progress reports including managing the Voluntary Support of Education and Case management checklist reports and annual updates.
• Create and track reports to assess the office of advancement’s progress of metrics, goals, and analyze division activity reports while problem-solving to address any and all concerns.
• Attend regular advancement industry seminars with the goal of developing and enhancing personal knowledge in fundraising, along with knowledge that is consistent with advancing the department with our strategic goals.
• Perform other related duties as assigned.