The Department of Biology at The College of New Jersey seeks a full time Research Assistant to conduct research in the area of molecular/cellular biology beginning September 1st, 2017 (start date is negotiable). The research assistant will work with Dr. Tracy Kress, Associate Professor of Biology, to conduct and troubleshoot laboratory experiments, train and supervise undergraduate researchers, and perform routine laboratory maintenance. This is an NIH grant-funded position for a period of 3 years (full time, 12-month/year), with the possibility of renewal pending additional funding.
- Perform experiments using yeast cells to advance the lab’s research goals
- Supervise, schedule, train, and assist undergraduate researchers
- Make solutions, clean glassware, and coordinate waste disposal
- Stock consumable materials required for research in the laboratory
- Perform routine maintenance and cleaning of the laboratory space and equipment
- Manage safety issues in the laboratory to ensure a clean and safe working environment
- Bachelor's degree in biology (or molecular biology/biochemistry) required
- Knowledge of basic principles of genetics, cell and molecular biology required
- Experience with basic laboratory techniques in cellular or molecular biology required
- Basic computing skills required
- Excellent interpersonal, trouble-shooting, organizational, and communication skills required
Previous experience working with yeast helpful but not required
To apply, please include a cover letter, current resume, unofficial transcripts, and contact information for two references by August 4, 2017.
Founded in 1855, TCNJ is a highly selective public institution that has earned national recognition for its commitment to excellence. TCNJ emphasizes the undergraduate residential experience and offers targeted graduate programs. The College's seven schools - The Arts and Communication; Business; Humanities and Social Sciences; Education; Science; Nursing, Health, and Exercise Science; and Engineering - offer degrees to nearly 6,800 students. The College's distinguished faculty of 348 full-time members provides a 13 to 1 student to faculty ratio, and eighty-five percent of classes have enrollments of 30 or fewer. TCNJ's picturesque campus is located on 289 tree-lined acres in suburban Ewing, approximately five miles from New Jersey's state capital of Trenton, and 60 minutes from both Philadelphia and New York City. A 95 percent freshman to sophomore retention rate and a six-year graduation rate of 86 percent speak to the quality of the TCNJ experience.
To enrich education through diversity, The College of New Jersey is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The College has a strong commitment to achieving diversity among faculty and staff, and strongly encourages women and members of underrepresented groups to apply.