Director of Board Relations
Director of Board Relations
Salem Academy and College, the oldest continuously operating educational institution for girls and women in the country by its founding date of 1772, announces an opening for the Director of Board Relations. Salem Academy is a college-preparatory school for girls in grades nine through twelve. Salem College, a liberal arts college for women, is ranked as the thirteenth-oldest college in the nation by the American Council on Education. Along with its four-year undergraduate program for traditional-age students, the College offers baccalaureate programs for women and men ages twenty-three and older through the Martha H. Fleer Center for Adult Education as well as graduate degrees in education and music. Salem Academy and College is located on a beautiful sixty-four-acre campus in the Old Salem historic district in the heart of Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
The Director of Board Relations reports to the President, is a member of the President’s Cabinet, serves as the liaison to the Board of Trustees and the Board of Visitors, and supports the President with key initiatives and special projects.
Major Responsibilities and Duties
- Serves as the liaison to the Board of Trustees and advises on matters of board governance and strategy.
- Serves as the liaison to the Board of Visitors; works collaboratively with the President, Board Chair, and staff on program initiatives.
- Serves as support for the Board of Trustees and Board of Visitors membership.
- Collaborates with the President, Board Chair, and committee chair in the development of agendas for Board of Trustees meetings, committee meetings, and Board retreats.
- Attends and takes minutes at all Board of Trustees meetings and committee meetings.
- Staffs Board of Trustees committee(s) as assigned.
- Provides timely communication to Board members regarding meetings and events; compiles and distributes meeting materials; manages the Board of Trustees portal.
- Conducts research on special projects and key initiatives for the President and the Board of Trustees.
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required with a minimum of seven years of professional experience in a complex work environment. Experience in a higher education and/or non-profit setting preferred. Master’s degree preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication, presentation, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Proven experience handling highly confidential and sensitive materials and situations.
- Evidence of sound judgment and absolute discretion.
- Multifaceted project management and problem-solving skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and manage multiple priorities; must be able to collaborate with internal and external populations.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary for the Director of Board Relations will be commensurate with education and experience. Salem Academy and College also offers various health plan options; tuition waivers; generous paid time off; access to academic, arts, and athletic programming on campus; and the ability to work in a diverse educational setting.
To apply, please send a letter of interest addressing your qualifications for the position, a curriculum vitae, and the contact information for three professional references to Goldia Anderson, Salem Academy and College, 601 South Church Street, Winston-Salem, North Carolina 27101 or firstname.lastname@example.org. The letter of interest may be addressed to the “Director of Board Relations Search Committee.” The review of applications begins immediately.
Salem Academy and College is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, religion, disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, veteran status, or any other protected characteristic in its employment practices. Salem Academy and College provides equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees and encourages women and underrepresented minorities to apply.