Position: College Driver
Department: Transportation / Public Safety
Status: Part-time (some limited benefits available), Varied Hours (day, evening and weekend hours available)
The College Driver works to provide transportation services to the Earlham College community. Duties include operation of a College owned, leased or rented vehicle on a fixed or variable route and/or in support of College events, activities, and academic programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Drives a college-owned, leased or rented vehicle, normally a van, possibly a small bus, providing safe and efficient transportation to the college community.
- Performs routine vehicle inspection and maintenance including checking the oil, fuel, brakes, lights, windshield wipers, and water and tire pressures.
- Provides information and other general assistance to the college community and its visitors.
- Maintains records of work performed; makes timely reports of accidents, incidents, and unusual occurrences.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Minimum Job Requirements
- At least 21 years of age.
- Valid driver's license with at least 2 years driving experience.
- Possession of a good driving record with no convictions for DUI/DWI or Reckless Driving.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain vehicle operation records.
- Ability to understand and follow safety procedures.
- Knowledge of basic vehicle inspection and maintenance including tire pressure, checking oil and water levels.
- Ability to maintain discipline and safety of passengers during transportation.
- Ability to deal professionally, diplomatically, politely, and courteously with a diverse campus population.
Other Qualifications Preferred (but not required)
- Possession of or willingness to obtain Chauffeur's or Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with necessary endorsements at College expense.
Conditions of Employment
- Employment is contingent on criminal and motor vehicle background check.
Qualified employees wishing to be considered among the applicants for this position should notify their supervisors and Human Resources promptly. Any other potential applicants, whether or not they are College employees, should be referred to Human Resources. All applicants should send a signed application form and/or resume to:
Human Resources Office
801 National Road West
Richmond, IN 47374-4095
Applications will be reviewed at the discretion of the hiring supervisor and the position will be filled as soon as possible.
Earlham College continues to build a community that reflects the gender and racial diversity of the society at large, and, therefore, we are particularly interested in inviting and encouraging applications from African Americans, other ethnic minorities, and women. Earlham also is eager to solicit applications from members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
Earlham is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
POSITION College Driver
REQ NUMBER SAF-16-00003
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION Earlham College, an independent, residential college, aspires to provide the highest quality undergraduate education in the liberal arts, including the sciences, shaped by the distinctive perspectives of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers). Earlham emphasizes the pursuit of truth, lack of coercion, respect for others, openness to new truth, integrity and application of what is known to improving our world.
Earlham College and the Earlham School of Religion are located in Richmond, Indiana, a city of about 39,000. Founded in 1847 by the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers), Earlham College is an independent, four-year, coeducational, residential institution of higher learning. Approximately 1,200 undergraduate students attend Earlham College on its 800-acre tree-shaded campus. Earlham College offers Bachelor of Arts degrees in 40 disciplinary and interdisciplinary fields, as well as permitting self-designed studies and a cooperative program in engineering. Master of Arts in Teaching and Master of Education degrees also are offered at Earlham College.
EOE STATEMENT Earlham College, an independent, residential college, aspires to provide the highest-quality undergraduate education in the liberal arts, including the sciences, shaped by the distinctive perspectives of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers).
We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is currently accepting applications.