PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT - Endocrinology
PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT - Endocrinology
Medicine-Endocrinology and Metabolism
Duke University Hospital is a tertiary care teaching hospital offering a broad array of inpatient and ambulatory care services. We are seeking an individual with general medicine and/or endocrine experience, excellent communication and clinical skills who can work as an integral member of a large practice clinical setting.
The Advanced Practice Provider (APP) provides direct patient care services and perform medical acts under the supervision of the Endocrine Division MDs. The APP performs physical exams, collects and documents data, conducts diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, orders and schedules laboratory studies and professional consultations, prescribes appropriate interventions and medications, coordinates the care of patients in the ambulatory and possibly hospital settings, and provides direct patient care services.
The successful candidate will meet the criteria below:
- Completion of accredited Nurse Practitioner Program or PA Program at the Masters or Doctoral Level
- Current NC License with the NC Medical Board
- Current DEA registration
- Credentialing through Duke University Health System
- American Red Cross BLS and ACLS certification
- Adequate CME as outlined by NC Medical Board, Duke Credentialing Office and AANP
- Completion of required Duke modules (safety, HIPAA, etc.)
- Completion of Maestro training
Thereafter, candidates must maintain the credentialing and licensing requirements of Duke University Medical Center, the North Carolina State Board of Nursing, and/or The North Carolina Medical Board.
Primary work hours will be 8:00AM to 5:00PM, Monday through Friday (40 hours) and will cover 8 clinical sessions (4 hours each). This is an exempt position.
Current clinic locations include Duke South, Brier Creek and Durham/Southpoint. Upon hire, a specific location will be agreed to but the successful candidate should be available to work at all locations at least occasionally dependent upon patient demand.
Supervision / Leadership
Candidates will be assigned a supervising physician and will work in a team environment supporting both general endocrine patients and an Endocrine subspecialty. Divisional APPs are also supported by a Divisional lead APP and the Division Business Manager.
Specific Job Responsibilities and Standards
The Endocrine Divisional APP will augment a physician's ability to provide medical services to patients; collect and document data, conduct diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, order and schedule laboratory studies and professional consultations and provide direct patient care services.
Primary Work Performed:
- Perform diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to assist physician in diagnosing medical and surgical problems and prescribing necessary treatment and services for quality patient care; record the normal and abnormal data for review by the physician.
- Take patient histories, conduct physical examinations, and record the data in the patient's record; write progress notes and narrative discharge summaries; prepare patient workups and summaries noting pertinent positive and negative findings.
- Order and schedule laboratory studies and diagnostic procedures; explain the necessity, preparation, nature and anticipated effects of scheduled diagnostic and therapeutic procedures to the patient.
- Utilizes prescriptive privileges for identified patient populations.
- Communicate verbally and in writing all pertinent patient information to supervising MD, nursing staff, case manager, social worker, home health agency, and other relevant healthcare providers and especially those working in the multidisciplinary clinic setting.
- Document in the patients' chart (EMR) all relevant data including but not limited to results of diagnostic tests; laboratory results; patients' condition and response to therapies/interventions; communications with supervising MD.
- Participate in basic science and clinical research projects conducted by supervising physician; prepare statistical reports and analyses setting forth progress, adverse trends and appropriate recommendations or conclusions.
- Participate in teaching medical students and physician assistant students in techniques and procedures which are unique to specific clinical setting.
- Collaborate and foster education of medical students, surgical residents, and Endocrine Fellows.
- Assess educational needs of patients/families and provide patient/family education interventions as needed.
- Serve as a role model through conduct, communication, dress, leadership, ethical decision-making, critical thinking, and problem solving skills.
- Demonstrate responsibility for professional practice through active participation in at least one professional organization, maintain continuing education hours/year for licensure, and in obtaining and maintaining certification in area of specialization if applicable.
- Maintain all professional requirements for licensure, certification, and practice as an Advanced Practice provider at Duke University Medical Center and Hospital.
- Consistently demonstrate a personal commitment to Patient Health and Safety.
- Practices excellent customer service.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all times.
- Dress professionally.
- Practice Duke's "Live our Values" guidelines.
- Communicate openly and respectfully with others.
- Participates in personal and professional learning opportunities.
Candidates must be:
- Able to clearly articulate scope of practice, and practice within those guidelines as an Advanced Practice Provider in the state of North Carolina and within the Duke University Health System
- Able to communicate clearly with patients, families, visitors, healthcare team, physicians, administrators, leadership, and others.
- Able to use sensory and cognitive functions to process and prioritize information, perform health assessments, treatment, and follow-up.
- Able to use fine motor skills
- Able to record activities, document assessments and interventions; prepare reports and presentations.
- Able to use computer and learn new software programs.
- Able to provide leadership in clinical area of expertise and in meeting organizational goals.
- Able to navigate the Hospital and DUHS to provide clinical expertise to specific patient populations.
- Able to withstand prolonged standing and walking with the ability to move or lift at least fifty pounds.
1631 PHYSICIAN ASSISTANT
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Work requires a bachelor's degree in Health Science and a PhysicianAssistant Certificate of Registration with the North Carolina MedicalBoard or be certification eligible, and be certified as a PhysicianAssistant by the National Commission on Certification of PhysicianAssistants.
None required above education/training requirement.OR AN EQUIVALENT COMBINATION OF RELEVANT EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.