DIR, ANNUAL FUND COMMUNICATIONS
DIR, ANNUAL FUND COMMUNICATIONS
Director of Annual Fund Communications - Duke Annual Fund
Occupational Summary The Director of Annual Fund Communications manages the Duke Annual Fund Communications team and oversees a highly-integrated program that raises more than $10 million annually from more than 35,000 donors through multi-channel outreach including a combination of direct mail, e-communications and phonathon. S/he provides leadership and direction in the development, implementation, and monitoring of the strategic marketing plan for the Duke Annual Fund and it's programs(Parents, Reunions, Young Alumni and Students), establishes and implements short and long range marketing goals, and evaluates the program's effectiveness and recommends changes required for improvement. This individual manages a staff of four and is responsible for working with key campus partners, including University Development Marketing and Communications (DevComm), to develop and disseminate critical information about Annual Fund priorities and the impact unrestricted giving has on current students and faculty. The director will also oversee Duke's annual Centralized Communication Program (CCP) which drives alumni donor totals for eight of Duke's ten schools using a consistent, multi-channel solicitation approach. The director should have a strong marketing background with proven success, be able to excel in a highly decentralized environment, and provide leadership/management support within a collaborative, fast- paced, team environment. This position reports to the Chief Operating Officer within the Duke Annual Fund and collaborates closely with Development Communications to ensure consistent messaging and strategy.
- Provide leadership and direction in the development, implementation, and monitoring of the strategic marketing plan for the Duke Annual Fund (DAF).
- In collaboration with the assistant vice president of the Duke Annual Fund, director of Operations, and members of DevComm, develop and execute an overarching strategic annual fund marketing and communications plan.
- Partner with DAF senior leaders (assistant vice president and directors of Operations, the Parents Program and Alumni and Leadership Giving) to develop and implement short- and long-term planning strategies using data analytics, forecasting, prospect segmentation, and innovative technologies to increase donors and dollars.
- Working in concert with the manager of Data Analytics, make recommendations regarding how to apply conclusions from data analysis to the strategic planning and decision-making processes.
- Collaborate with school and unit colleagues on outreach and messaging for their specific areas and share marketing best practices and new technologies aimed at increasing alumni participation.
- Oversee Duke's highly-integrated Annual Fund Marketing and Communications Program Manage the annual marketing and communication planning process which includes defining themes for the year, drafting the solicitation schedule, identifying authors, writing messages and defining the segmentation strategy.
- Monitor all deadlines on a day-to-day basis to ensure all projects stay on track.
- Work in close concert with DAF's senior leaders to develop and execute annual direct marketing strategies to increase donors and drive dollar totals for each program.
- Foster relationships with key campus partners including DevComm and schools/units colleagues to develop and disseminate critical information about Annual Fund priorities and the impact unrestricted giving has on current students and faculty.
- Oversee the annual creation and implementation of the Centralized Communication Plan, a highly sophisticated, complex and personalized direct marketing effort for eight of Duke's ten schools.
- In partnership with DevComm and school Annual Fund directors, develop messaging and outreach strategies to solicit Annual Fund support (at all levels) from alumni through direct mail, email, web, social media and phonathon.
- Implement and integrate best practices to achieve maximum participation and dollar totals for all of Duke's Annual Fund programs.
- Research, evaluate, and recommend viable emerging technologies in support of digital and traditional fundraising and stewardship initiatives, and conceptualize strategies to reach under-represented audiences through integrated cross-channel cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship campaigns.
- Work with the director of Data Analytics to create, track, and analyze various tests to determine efficacy of messaging, subject line, and frequency of outreach.
- Ensure quality control by monitoring workflow between university partners and the DAF Marketing and Communication team to ensure proper proofing and editing procedures are followed; review and approve copy and design for all communication pieces.
- Manage the Annual Fund Marketing and Communications team and serve as an active member of the Duke Annual Fund staff Supervise four professional staff members, work with individuals on annual performance planning and evaluation and provide opportunities for growth within the context of the Annual Fund and University Development.
- Set overall programmatic donor and dollar goals.
- Generate yearly operating plans and report on mid-year and year-end progress.
- Convene team meetings to provide regular updates and seek input and feedback.
- Participate in Annual Fund Advisory Board meetings and provide updates and input on topics as necessary.
- Where appropriate, attend Annual Fund events and gift club receptions.
- Plan and attend strategic planning meetings with university partners.
- Attend monthly University Development all staff meetings.
Ability to influence
Decisiveness and judgment
Promotes innovation and creativity
Collaborating with Others
Goal and task management
Experience developing and implementing successful fundraising marketing campaigns through a multi- channel approach.
Minimum of 5 years of relevant work experience with increasing levels of responsibility
Bachelor's degree required; relevant advanced degree preferred
Demonstrated excellence in writing and editing
Careful attention to detail
Ability to set schedules and manage deadlines effectively
Ability to work flexibly and collaboratively
Fund-raising experience preferred
Knowledge of educational fund-raising, higher education issues, research universities, and Duke University preferred
Interested Applicants Please submit cover letter and resume to email@example.com Please put "Director of Annual Fund Communications" in the subject line.
CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
2781 DIR, COMMUNICATIONS
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employercommitted to providing employment opportunity without regard to anindividual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion,sexual orientation, or veteran status.Essential Physical Job Functions:Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System mayinclude essential job functions that require specific physical and/ormental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests forreasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Completion of a bachelor's degree program in Journalism, Communications,English or a related discipline.
Requires at least 5 years experience in writing,public relations,communications or related discipline.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.