Graduate Program Assistant, SMPA
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Graduate Program Assistant position serves as the primary point of contact for the SMPA graduate program to support faculty, staff and graduate students. The primary focus for this position is to coordinate the student admissions process with the Faculty Admissions Committee and assists graduates of the SMPA program in their school wide activities such as workshops, student orientation and celebrations. This position also provides coverage for the front desk including answering the main SMPA phone line and providing support and services to SMPA faculty and staff.
Position reports to the Office Supervisor with a dotted line to the Director of Special Projects and Administration. This position does not have direct reports but may schedule, train and supervise temporary staff or student workers. This position also provides coverage for the SMPA front desk. Duties are split 75 percent for the graduate program and 25 percent for front desk coverage.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Works with SMPA staff on Orientation, Grad reception and Capstone meetings, etc. including preparing all necessary documents.
• Generates applications for prospective students each semester.
• Reviews applications daily to ensure all necessary information is completed.
• Daily maintenance and updates of the database and spreadsheet required to track student application status (admitted, committed, denied, deferred). Provides status report to Director of Graduate Studies and the Director of Special Projects and Administration.
• Maintains contact with applicants to inform them of their application status via email and phone. Maintains a contact log for each applicant.
• Processes applications and prepares completed applicant folders for review by the Faculty Admissions Committee, inputs decisions into TargetX, including applications for the combined degree.
• Processes applications for nominated exchange students for Faculty Admissions Committee review, inputs decisions into TargetX and creates admission packets for each student and sends to Office of Study Abroad.
• Serves as liaison to the Office of Study Abroad to ensure all documentation is received for exchange students.
• Serves as liaison to the International Services Office (ISO) to ensure all documentation is received for international students.
• Assist graduate students with registration issues (adding and dropping classes, etc.)
• Updates the Continued Enrollment (CE) and Leave of Absence List (LOA) lists.
• First point of contact for walk-in inquiries and providing pertinent information on the program.
• Responds in a timely fashion to phone calls and email inquiries about the program.
• Prepares award applications for Faculty Awards Committee review.
• Process Graduate Assistant and scholarship awards using University Banner system
• Process GW employee hire form for salary portion of Gas, and procure necessary signatures ; follow up for completion of hires
• Assist graduating students with scheduling thesis and capstone presentations
• Process graduation clearances for graduating students
• Monitors and ensures that the Graduate Assistants' shared office is organized and well maintained; GA workstations (computers and printers) are in working condition; ensure a proper turnover of workstations from graduating GAs to arriving GAs; issuing office door keycode and requesting staff support for a new keycode every semester.
• Ensure compliance with proper filing and archiving standards.
• Answering the main SMPA phone line, answering questions and directing calls as appropriate.
• Providing support to students, faculty and staff as needed. Coordinate and work with SMPA PT Office Coordinator to ensure continuous front operations.
Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.Minimum Qualifications:
Qualified candidates will hold a high school diploma/GED plus 1.5 years of relevant professional experience, or, a Bachelor's degree or higher in a relevant area of study. Degree must be conferred by the start date of the position. Degree requirements may be substituted with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications: Preferred Qualifications:
- Excellent communication, customer service and organizational skills.
- Ability to prioritize multiple tasks to meet essential deadlines.
- Familiarity with word processing, database management, Excel and Powerpoint.
- Strong demonstration of teamwork skills.
- University experience very desirable.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: Columbian College of Arts & Sciences (CCAS) Family Academic Affairs Sub-Family Program Administration Stream Service and Support Level Level 2 Full-Time/Part-Time: Part-Time Hours Per Week: 20 Work Schedule: Mon-Fri, 1:30 PM - 5:30 PM Position Designation: Essential: Employees who perform functions that have been deemed essential to maintaining business or academic operations. Employees are generally expected to work from home during an event and may be asked to physically report to work. Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search Special Instructions to Applicants: Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006464 Job Open Date: 07/06/2017 Job Close Date: If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- Cover Letter
Documents needed to Apply
- Cover Letter