Special Police Officer 1
I. JOB OVERVIEW
Job Description Summary:
The Special Police Officer is part of the George Washington University Police Department. The position is responsible for providing basic security and protection over persons and various University buildings within The George Washington University community, and to receive practical on-the-job and formal training necessary to attain a Special Police Commission from the District of Columbia.
- Patrols assigned areas and buildings to enforce DC laws and administrative GW ordinances.
- Responds to emergencies by assessing the situation and employing tact, diplomacy and individual judgment.
-May assist higher level officers to conduct fact-finding investigations or specific projects, as well as occasionally appear in court regarding various incidents that occur within the University community as necessary.
- Performs other related duties as assigned. The omission of specific duties does not preclude the supervisor from assigning duties that are logically related to the position.
Subject to Collective Bargaining Agreement.Additional Required Licenses/Certifications/Posting Specific Minimum Qualifications:
• Officers must be a minimum of 21 years old.
• U.S. Citizenship required
• Valid driver's license and be eligible to drive GW vehicles as per University policy
• Pass a physical exam, drug screen, psychological assessment, and background investigation.
• Must possess or be able to possess a District of Columbia Special Police Commission within one (1) year of employment
• Must have a minimum of a high school diploma or GED.
• Must have one year of experience in protective services or an Associate's Degree in Criminal Justice or a related field (Bachelor's Degree in Criminal Justice is preferred)
• Must be available to work rotating shifts
Bachelors degree preferred.
II. JOB DETAILS
Campus Location: Foggy Bottom College/School/Department: Safety and Security Family Safety and Security Sub-Family Campus Police - Operational Stream Service and Support Level Level 3 Full-Time/Part-Time: Full-Time Hours Per Week: 40 Work Schedule: Rotating shifts Position Designation: Designated On-Site: Employees who are required to physically report to work or remain at work during an emergency or adjustment to the university's operating status Telework: No Required Background Check: Criminal History Screening, Education/Degree/Certifications Verification, Social Security Number Trace, and Sex Offender Registry Search, Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) Search Special Instructions to Applicants:
Candidates that successfully complete the interview and selection process will be offered a temporary position and will begin field training. Temporary positions are not eligible for benefits other than those required by law. Field training is typically between 3 – 6 months in duration. Upon successful completion of field training with the George Washington Police Department those in good standing may be eligible for a full time regular Special Police Officer 1 position with the university. Regular positions are benefit eligible.Internal Applicants Only? No Posting Number: S006397 Job Open Date: 06/09/2017 Job Close Date: 10/31/2017 If temporary, grant funded or limited term appointment, position funded until: Background Screening Successful Completion of a Background Screening will be required as a condition of hire. EEO Statement:
The university is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer that does not unlawfully discriminate in any of its programs or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or on any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * This position requires certification from the District of Columbia to perform the duties of a Special Police Officer. To obtain this certification, you must be at least 21 years old. Are you at least 21 years old?
- * This position requires certification from the District of Columbia to perform the duties of a Special Police Officer. To obtain this certification, you must be a United States of American citizen. Are you currently a United States Citizen?
- * As a Special Police Officer applicant, I will need to successfully pass a physical exam, psychological assessment, drug screening and background investigation prior to starting employment. I acknowledge and understand that this is a condition of employment and required for this particular position.
- I acknowledge.
- I do not acknowledge
- * Do you have a valid drivers license?
- * Do you have a high school diploma or equivalent education?
- * Do you have at least one year of experience in protective services OR an Associate's Degree in Criminal Justice or a related field?
- * I understand that this position has a rotating schedule and draft system that may require me to work overtime without advance notice.
- Names and Contact Information for References
Documents needed to Apply
- Names and Contact Information for References