ANALYST, IT, SR - NETWORK PROGRAMMER
ANALYST, IT, SR - NETWORK PROGRAMMER
Duke University's Office of Information Technology (OIT) Network Engineering team handles the design, and deep level support of the Duke University data network. The network infrastructure includes the core routers, optical network equipment, building-based switched networks and wireless network. The network engineering team partners with teams within OIT to develop the automated provisioning and troubleshooting procedures in use today; monitoring techniques to identify trends or issues; and support teams for client wireless support. From a design perspective, the team is responsible for supporting the academic and research needs of campus through timely upgrades and refreshes, as well as working with the OIT architecture team to identify new approaches to supporting campus network needs. Lastly, the group partners with the IT security office to manage the core network security infrastructure, including firewalls, VPNs, and automated black hole routing.
The successful candidate for the network programmer position is someone who ideally has a network engineering background and is also comfortable in a dev/ops role. The position will be responsible for helping us to identify and then implement automated solutions for provisioning of network equipment such as edge switches and APs, and alerting when utilizations hit certain thresholds, and working with the OIT automation team on network projects such as network firewall rule automation and client performance monitoring. The chosen candidate will work closely and collaborate with many colleagues across OIT to create new solutions to improve the efficiency of OIT, as well as maintain and improve existing solutions. In addition to creating new solutions, it will be key for these solutions to be reliable and supportable both today as well in the future.
The ideal candidate will have a background developing software and network administration.
Must have skills:
- Knowledge of Cisco IOS, Nexus and CatOS platforms.
- Experience in managing routing protocols across campus networks.
- Experience troubleshooting problems with network protocols
Understanding of network security and firewall/VPN management
- Programming experience with Ruby, Python, or similar languages
- Fundamental knowledge of standard networking services and administration
- Experience with one or more of routing protocols including: EIGRP, OSPF, BGP, MPLS backbones
- Understanding of relational databases (i.e. MySQL)
- Familiarity with standard API protocols (REST, SOAP)
- Ruby on Rails
- Experience with Linux containers
- Graph databases (i.e. Neo4J)
- Familiarity with VMware
Beyond technical knowledge, the senior programmer should have demonstrated the ability to work as an effective team member with both technical and non-technical groups, introduce new technology to large organizations, and lead large-scale technical projects to completion.
DUTIES & WORK PERFORMED:
The candidate in this role will:
- Participating in projects to evaluate and design network refreshes
- Provide 3rd tier support for network systems, including daytime and off-hours coverage for problems with supported equipment.
- Work closely with other engineers and management to develop plans for changing and improving the campus network.
- Develop technical standards procedures for network operations.
- Provide cross-training to other technical staff in areas of expertise.
- Identify candidates for automation in our current workflows. Design and develop software solutions to solve those problems.
- Work with subject matter experts across OIT and the University to implement new automation solutions.
- Effectively use existing open source projects and services and current, proprietary systems in use at Duke.
- Efficiently prototype and deploy systems that automate provisioning of a broad array of IT services
- Possess proven design and debugging skills
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
The candidate should have a high-level understanding of major components of a large IT enterprise, including concepts of networking, virtualization, storage, monitoring, security, identity management, application development methods, documentation, development of APIs, and workflows relating to provisioning of various IT services. The candidate will possess a deep understanding and hands-on experience with specific technologies used in network administration and programming for provisioning, configuration, and maintenance of network components. Expertise in scripting and coding skills in common languages is a requirement. Familiarity with a broad range of scripting and programming languages is also desired.
The candidate will possess strong problem solving skills and be able to clarify technical issues relating to a desired outcome in automating network services of all kinds. They will have personal qualities that add to the depth of competence and intelligence of the network and automation teams at the Office of Information Technology.
The candidate will possess the ability to not only integrate & develop automation tools, but to be able to determine where such tools can have the greatest impact to efficiencies and improvements on the network.
Required: BS in a quantitative field such as computer science, statistics, mathematics, data sciences.
Preferred: Advanced degree is desirable. Advanced training in specific areas, technical or not, are an indicator of intellectual ability and curiosity.
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
Required: A progressive record of accomplishment in technical and computational areas, including such areas as network engineering and administration, "DevOps," and/or web and application development.
Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a team environment
CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
2426 ANALYST, IT, SR
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Refer to Job Description
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.