ANALYST, IT (Network Analyst)
ANALYST, IT (Network Analyst)
Duke OIT - Networking
*This position operates on a 10pm - 7am schedule Sundays through Thursdays*
Assist in the operation, maintenance and troubleshooting of all aspects of the Duke University network, including supporting Duke's China campus (DKU) and other international locations. This includes routers, and building-based switched networks, wireless networks and Internet connectivity. Responsible for troubleshooting issues that are raised to the Service Operations Center as network troubleshooting issues. Ensure consistent and reliable services and quality customer service.
DUTIES & WORK PERFORMED:
- Investigate trouble tickets and customer issues that are raised as networking problems and identifying the root cause of such issues so they can be fixed or routed to more senior network engineers. This may involve collaboration with the OIT Telecommunications, Systems, and Technology Support groups, the IT Security Office, IT administrators of organizations across campus, and DKU IT staff.
- Provide 2nd tier support for network systems, including coverage for problems with supported equipment. Respond to such events with appropriate troubleshooting, and problem remediation. Follow-up with any recommendations to change systems or processes to prevent recurrence.
- Work closely with other engineers and management to implement plans for changing and improving the LAN, WAN, optical, and wireless data networks. This will include code upgrades, configuration tuning and rationalization, and some hardware installation. Take direction from Sr. Analysts for the implementation of high level design
- Assist in the development and documentation of technical standards procedures for efficient, consistent network operation.
- Able to effectively function in a complex and rapidly changing environment.
- Able to dynamically prioritize work efforts to meet deadlines.
- Ability to develop informal networks within Duke to stay abreast of changes and work in other areas.
- Able to positively and productively interact with customers, ensuring that their needs are understood.
- Self-motivation to tackle observed problems, present recommendations, and complete changes as necessary.
Typically in a normal office environment. Weekly work within telecommunications room and data center environments expected. Some of these instances may involve work in small and enclosed spaces. Required to lift up to 50lb on occasion. Must possess a valid driver's license.
CENTRAL ADMIN MANAGEMENT CTR
2423 ANALYST, IT
Job Family Level
Full Time / Part Time
Regular / Temporary
Required: A BA/BS in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline (or equivalent combination of education and experience.)
Preferred: A BS in Computer Science or equivalent combination of education and experience. One or more advanced technical certifications in the field of data networking (e.g Network + certification).
EXPERIENCE & SKILLS:
Required: At least five years of progressively responsible experience engineering and operating the networks of large, multi-faceted organizations.
- Ability to communicate across multiple forms (written, conversational, presentation).
- Working knowledge of Cisco IOS, CatOS and Nexus platforms. Experience deploying and managing a broad array of Cisco equipment, especially: 3850 series switches, ISR routers, wireless access points, 15454 optical equipment, and Nexus series switch/routers.
- Working experience with routing protocols across large networks. Specific routing protocols include: EIGRP, OSPF, and BGP.
- Experience troubleshooting problems with network protocols, including: IPv4, Ethernet, MPLS, DHCP, PIM, MSDP, LDP
- Ability to troubleshoot problems involving application-layer protocols, including especially HTTP
- Advanced knowledge and experience operating converged (voice/video/data) networks, including knowledge of: CoS, QoS, RSVP, CAR, WRED, and related quality of service parameters.
- Advanced knowledge and experience operating MPLS backbones, including knowledge of: RSVP-TE, AToM, EoMPLS, VPLS
- Working knowledge of Cisco VOIP environment
- Working knowledge of load balancing technologies
- Advanced understanding of network security and ability to work within the Cisco firewall/ACL environment
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status. Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.
Auto req ID
Duke University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing employment opportunity without regard to an individual's age, color, disability, genetic information, gender, gender expression, gender identity, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status.
Essential Physical Job Functions: Certain jobs at Duke University and Duke University Health System may include essential job functions that require specific physical and/or mental abilities. Additional information and provision for requests for reasonable accommodation will be provided by each hiring department.