Patient Access Representative
Patient Access Representative-1701927
At Stony Brook Medicine, our Patient Access Representatives are responsible for completing varied, diverse and specialized goal oriented Patient Access duties support the Revenue Cycle, Compliance and Patient Experience completing varied, complex and specialized functions in areas of Registration, Financial Screening and Verification, Patient Throughput.
Qualified candidates will demonstrate excellent communication skills, interpersonal skills, knowledge and understanding of patient care and effectively respond to changing patient needs by making decisions based on ethical principles and adhering to our high standard of excellence.
Duties of a Patient Access Representative may include the following but are not limited to:
- Coordinates and supports activities to ensure excellence in throughput for inpatient and observation patients. This will include same day admissions, urgent, emergency, and transfers.
- Responsible for review and ensure correct coding of patient types, medical services to support billing and revenue cycle goals to include patient status changes.
- Follow appropriate patient placement utilizing the facilities bed allocation.
- Completes and files death certificates with Brookhaven Town and Department of Health.
- Determines eligibility and patient cost share (co-pay / deposit etc.) using electronic systems and other means, taking payments at point of service.
- Determines and communicates to each patient/patient representative, confirming how the encounter will be paid, and properly assist in screening self-pay patients to determine Medicaid or Charity Care options, referring to a Financial Counselor when appropriate.
- Ensures that compliance regulations are met (including ensuring securing consents and regulatory signatures from patients or designee, essential for treatment and payment, as per procedure).
- Maintains and requires appropriate documents as necessary (i.e. copies of photo ID and insurance documents etc. Witnessing general consents, agreements, and acknowledgements.
- Provides financial guidance and excellence in Financial Care to patients and their representatives including information about their health care insurance coverage, cost share responsibilities and for self-pay patients, qualification for Medicaid and / or the financial assistance working to ensure complete applications for Medicaid and/or Financial Aid applications. Provides Medicaid/ Marketplace (Affordable Healthcare Act) counseling as appropriate.
- Assists and instructs staff as well as clients on issues related to insurance verification of authorizations and referrals. Reviews registrations for completeness and correctness, supports the registration areas with financial services expertise.
- Collect co-pays, deposits and deductibles at time of registration/admission.
- Monitors staff productivity and provide constructive feedback to staff with management guidance.
- Train and in-service new and continuing employees on a continuing basis.
Required Qualifications: Associate's Degree with one year working experience in a financial services, public health, health, or related industry such as insurance. In lieu of degree, two years of demonstrated excellence working in a financial services, public health, health, or related industry such as banking or insurance (or other related industry requiring similar skills) which demonstrates comparable complex skill experience in payment collection, insurance reimbursement, access services etc. Demonstrated excellence in verbal and written communication, computing and multi-tasking skills. Candidate must demonstrate experience and expertise in speaking with customers and can work well with persons who are under stress (such as sick patients and their distressed family members).
Preferred Qualifications: Billing Experience, Accounts Receivable, Banking Hospital Patient Access/Registration experience, Familiarity with medical insurance benefits, Bed Control Management, demonstrated experience in with EMR computerized registration/financial/IT systems. Knowledge of medical terminology. Previous experience as a patient access representative at a Medical Center is preferred.
Essential Position: All Hospital employees are designated as essential personnel. Positions that are designated as such are required to report to work and/or remain at work in cases of emergencies, staff shortages, increased census, and/or inclement weather. This position may require that you work in the hospital and / or off site areas.
Special Notes: Stony Brook Medicine is a smoke free environment. Smoking is strictly prohibited anywhere on campus, including parking lots and outdoor areas on the premises. All Hospital positions are subject to changes in pass days and shifts as necessary. This position may require the wearing of respiratory protection, which may prohibit the wearing of facial hair.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation. Prior to start date, the selected candidate must meet the following requirements: Successfully complete pre-employment physical examination and obtain medical clearance from Stony Brook Medicine's Employee Health Services (The hiring department will be responsible for any fee incurred for examination), submit (3) written references, and provide a copy of any required New York State license(s)/certificate(s). Please be advised that failure to comply with any of the above requirements could result in a delayed start date and/or revocation of the employment offer.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The best ideas in medicine start with the best people. At Stony Brook Medicine, our highest calling is to put the power of ideas to work in our patients’ lives. Stony Brook Medicine integrates and elevates all of our health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. Stony Brook Medicine is Long Island’s premier academic medical center. With 603 beds, we serve as the region’s only tertiary care center and Level 1 Trauma Center, and are home to the Stony Brook Heart Institute, Stony Brook Cancer Center, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, Stony Brook Neurosciences Institute, and Stony Brook Digestive Disorders Institute. We also encompass Suffolk County’s only Level 4 Regional Perinatal Center, state-designated AIDS Center, state-designated Comprehensive Psychiatric Emergency Program, state-designated Burn Center, the Christopher Pendergast ALS Center of Excellence, and Kidney Transplant Center. It is home of the nation’s first Pediatric Multiple Sclerosis Center.
Stony Brook University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. We are committed to the creation of a diverse and inclusive campus climate. We encourage protected veterans, individuals with disabilities, women and minorities to apply.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700. IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AThttp://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Official Job Title: TH Instructional Support Assistant
Job Field: Administrative & Professional (non-Clinical)
Primary Location: US-NY-Stony Brook
Department/Hiring Area: Patient Access-Stony Brook University Hospital
Schedule: Full-time Day Shift 11:00 a.m -7:00 p.mPatient Access-Stony Brook University Hospital
Posting Start Date: Jul 7, 2017
Posting End Date: Jul 21, 2017, 10:59:00 PM
Salary: Commensurate with Experience
Salary Grade: SL1