Casual Hourly - Temporary - Athletic Medicine Physician
Requisition # 2017-7744
Department Health Services
Category Health Services
Date Posted 7/7/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Temporary
Application Deadline 8/7/2017
The Athletic Medicine Physician provides services as a UHS physician, with special attention to the student athlete population. This physician serves a team physician for varsity athletes at the discretion of the Director of Athletic Medicine (DAM). This includes sideline event coverage, directing the care of student athletes receiving care from a highly skilled staff of Athletic Trainers and Physical Therapists, and serving as a partner to the DAM. The physician participates as a member of the UHS physician group, including overnight call rotations and regular clinical sessions at the McCosh Health Center. Evening and weekend event coverage required.
- Provides services as a UHS physician. These include same day appointments, appointments, inpatient care and day call and on call coverage.
- Evaluation and management of problems presented by patients in a primary care setting.
- Assessment of laboratory reports and x-rays.
- Performance of minor surgical procedures (such as suturing, incision & drainage)
- Conducting rounds on inpatients
- Making judicious referrals to appropriate specialists
- Night call for inpatients and after-hour outpatients on the inpatient service. This is done on a rotating basis with other staff physicians.
- Weekend and holiday duties, on a rotating basis with other staff physicians.
- Evening appointment hours (training room coverage and/or evening clinic hours) may be included.
- Administrative duties as assigned.
- Provides care to student athletes as well as providing emergency services as a sideline physician for high risk sports. Sideline care often requires high complexity clinical decision making in emergency situations. The care of student athletes includes performing pre participation physical examinations, injury and illness evaluations, referrals to consultants and obtaining additional diagnostic tests.
- Serves as a medical decision-maker for the athletic training staff and oversight to residents and the sports medicine fellow during rotations at Princeton.
- Determines eligibility as well return to play status. This is an essential component of this position and requires independent judgment as well as integrating multiple outside opinions and factors for the variety of medical conditions. It sometimes also includes collaboration with administrative services and legal counsel for Princeton University.
- Provides athletic medicine and education services to non-varsity athletes, including club sports, recreational athletes and graduate students as well as others with sports medicine needs.
- Participation in sports medicine clinics, as assigned
- Engage in clinical research activities related to sports medicine if requested by the Director, Athletic Medicine.
Performs other duties as assigned
- New Jersey license as an Medical Doctor or Doctor of Osteopathy
- Primary specialty in Family Practice, Internal Medicine, Emergency Medicine, or Pediatrics
- Experience as a Team Physician at the college/university level.
- Primary care board certification, sports medicine sub-specialty certification (CAQ)
- Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automate External Defibrillator (AED) certifications.
- 2 years or more of relevant experience as a physician practicing Athletic Medicine.
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) or Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS) certification.
Be advised that you will only be contacted if there is further interest in your application. The candidate dashboard will not display status updates for this requisition.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Estimated Appointment End Date
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.