Web Designer/Front-End Themer
Requisition # 2017-7745
Department Academic Technology Services
Category Information Technology
Date Posted 3 months ago
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Princeton University's Office of Information Technology (OIT) is seeking a Web Designer/Front-end Themer to join its Web Development Services group (WDS). WDS provides comprehensive design, development, and technical support services across multiple platforms for Princeton University websites. WDS is highly collaborative, with close working relationships between developers, designers, managers, and service stakeholders.
The Web Designer/Front-end Themer is responsible for creating and implementing visual designs and layouts for University department websites.
The position requires expertise in both programming (e.g., HTML, CSS, JS) and aesthetics (such as, screen element arrangement, color palette and font choices). The successful candidate has a solid understanding of industry trends and content management systems.
- Design creative, highly-usable and responsive CMS-driven websites (primarily in Drupal)
- Collaborate with customers; carefully evaluate broad schemas and understated cues
- Educate customers on design and UX/UI trends as they pertain to their project
- Engage in out-of-the-box thinking with customers to generate ideas that best capture desired visual and content elements
- Analyze customer input; translate ideas, concepts and content into a user-centered model; and build effective and stimulating site information architectures
- Present concepts to the project team and create low-fidelity wireframes and mockups
- Collaborate with content strategists to design websites that communicate customer content and ideas
- In partnership with back-end developers, implement high-quality, innovative and intuitive designs
- Optimize designs for usability and browser/device compatibility
- Develop an expert understanding of the University Drupal template offerings and use CSS to add needed customizations
- Perform light site-building tasks in a GUI (e.g., page setup, layouts, taxonomies)
- Employ organizational project management methodologies and technologies
- Maintain positive working relationships with and provide excellent service and support to University customers
- Continually learn techniques and best practices for emerging web design, user experience and content strategy trends
- A minimum of 3 years of experience in web design, including experience with front-end web development
- Demonstrated expertise in CSS and HTML, with a fluency in hand coding
- Ability to comprehend CSS changes to maintain a consistent style across platforms and browsers
- Demonstrated experience trouble-shooting cross-browser and -platform issues, and working with a content management system
- A creative online portfolio of website work (preferably one that highlights pre-production work for user-centered design)
- Demonstrated knowledge of current web design trends and techniques
- Strong foundation in design with expertise in grid-based design, web typography, white space, balance, and color harmony
- Knowledge of user experience and UI best practices, as well as familiarity with WCAG 2.0 Level AA and general accessibility best practices
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; exceptionally attentive to detail
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to effectively communicate with customers with varying levels of technical proficiency
- Enthusiasm for learning new technologies and techniques that support evolving needs
- Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, respond to shifting priorities, and work under deadline pressures
- Ability to confidently present work and maintain receptiveness to constructive feedback
- Ability to work as part of a team in an open, shared-space environment
- Possess a positive, flexible attitude
- Intermediate experience with Drupal 7 theming (Drupal 8 knowledge a bonus)
- Familiarity with frameworks, such as Bootstrap, Foundation, Bourbon and Neat
- Experience using Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, Sketch
- Professional experience in higher education
Bachelors degree, or equivalent related experience
This is a 2.5 year term position.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Comments Related to End Date
This is a 2.5 year term position
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.