Senior Web Developer
Requisition # 2017-7731
Department Academic Technology Services
Category Information Technology
Date Posted 7/7/2017
Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time
Application Deadline ..
The developer is responsible for developing, deploying, maintaining, testing, and supporting websites built primarily in the Drupal platform. This position works extensively with University partners to understand business needs and translates them into new websites and enhancements.
This is a two year term position.
- Gather requirements, define tasks, and scope effort
- Ensure requirements and development are aligned with business logic and customer needs
- Develop, deploy, troubleshoot, and maintain websites built in the University's Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Develop web applications, including markup and code, optimized for multiple devices
- Partner with web designers for website and interface design
- Participate in developing best practices to maintain and improve platforms/applications
- Document code and create technical specifications
- Refactor code to improve its maintenance and extensibility and reduce its complexity
- Understand how other campus systems interact with the University's CMSs
- Develop solutions for adapting content and presentation to mobile devices and browsers
- Perform quality assurance testing for upgrades, patches, and new releases
- Provide support for websites built in University CMSs
- Research new technology, tools, and approaches that support evolving needs, and actively exchange knowledge and expertise with colleagues
- Follow organizational project management methodologies and technologies
- Provide occasional one-on-one or group application training
- Maintain positive working relationships with and provide service to individuals from diverse backgrounds
- A minimum of 5 years of web development experience
- Expert knowledge of web scripting languages, such as PHP and other object-oriented languages
- Ability to create clean code that adheres to industry standards (web and Drupal coding standards)
- Extensive experience with Drupal 7 site building and development
- Familiarity with continuous integration and deployment; ability to work with existing codebases
- Strong experience with web services technologies; including REST, SOAP, WSDL, AJAX, and JSON
- Strong experience using relational database management systems (e.g. MySQL, Oracle)
- Strong experience using Version Control Systems (i.e. Git)
- Solid understanding of W3C Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)
- Ability to work across development languages and platforms
- Excellent communication skills and a strong mix of project management and business analysis skills
- Demonstrated strength in identifying system solutions for evolving business requirements
- Ability to think strategically about integrating solutions into a CMS
- Excellent analytical and problem solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment and manage multiple concurrent projects, while maintaining attention to detail
- Willingness to keep abreast of emerging technologies and applications and integrate them into projects
- Experience with Drupal 8 site building and development
- Experience with unit testing, test-driven development, and behavior-driven development
- Strong system administration skills and comfort using the UNIX command line
- Professional experience in higher education and customer service
- Mobile and responsive development skills
Bachelor's degree in computer science or equivalent work experience
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Comments Related to End Date
This is a 2 year term position.
Physical Capacity Exam Required
Connect With Us! Join our Talent Network to receive updates about working at Princeton.
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Go to our careers site.