HR & Business Services Senior Professional
*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers.*
University of Colorado Denver l Anschutz Medical Campus
School of Medicine Department of Medicine
Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology
HR & Business Services Senior Professional (Business Services Senior Professional)
Position #691278 - Requisition 10212
The Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology has an opening for a full-time, University Staff (unclassified) HR & Business Services Senior Professional (Business Services Senior Professional) position.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado, Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology and Hepatology is seeking a Human Resources and Business Services Senior Professional. This position will manage all activities related to human resource management and will support financial and research functions for the Division. This position is responsible for managing all of the division's personnel processes, from talent identification, recruitment and hiring, to onboarding new personnel, training and orientation, performance evaluations, mentorship program participation, understanding and managing the employment cycle from hiring to exiting from the division. Under the direction and guidance of the Division Administrator, this position will work closely with the Program Directors of GI & Hepatology Fellowship Program, as well as faculty and staff, Faculty Affairs, Employee Services, and other appropriate individuals and offices within the University of Colorado system, clinical affiliates, and external funding agencies.
The primary responsibility will be managing and overseeing all daily aspects of Human Resources processes for the Division as well as managing a large spectrum of duties as assigned. These activities will include the recruitment and onboarding of all prospective employees; developing, updating and maintaining an Employee Handbook; and handling all paperwork for employees separating from the Division. Additionally, this position will provide guidance to the administrative and education coordinators ensuring that all Division administrative and education needs are completed efficiently and effectively.
Examples of Work Performed:
Essential Human Resources Functions:
- Manages day-to-day operations of Human Resources for the Division.
- Provides management support for faculty, Division Administrator, and research staff.
- Counsels division employees on HR policies and procedures.
- Manages the credentialing and Onboarding process with the administrative and education coordinators for all faculty in the Division.
- Attend all HR and finance-related monthly meetings to ensure HR compliance for the Division.
- Collaborate with Division Administrator to develop and maintain a streamlined Human Resources system for the Division.
- Understand and adhere to all University Human Resources and Employee Services policies and procedures, and remain up-to-date on any changes that affect the Division.
- Manage all employee vacation and sick leave by collecting and submitting time off in HCM on a monthly basis and process all student worker timesheets.
- Train employees on how to use My Leave and ensure all leave is approved and uploaded into HCM.
- Work with central HR to address personnel policies such as ADA compliance, suspected leave abuse, job performance issues, etc.
- Work closely with all Division Staff to develop HR policies and Employee Handbook.
- Maintains personnel files (electronic and hard copy) and salary distribution. information for assigned faculty and staff to ensure that division funds are distributed adequately.
- Develops and maintains standard operating procedures for all processes where the division seeks approval from the School of Medicine, the Department of Medicine, and Human resources and payroll matters in the Division.
- Approves and manages time reporting for assigned staff and student workers.
- Trains new administrative staff.
- Meets regularly to delegate administrative tasks pertaining to credentialing, onboarding, and divisional conferences and events.
- Submit annual performance reviews for assigned direct reports.
- Ensures that the Division has adequate resources to attract the highest-quality talent, and identify any gaps in the division workforce.
- Manages the recruitment of new staff and faculty by developing and posting job descriptions via the CU Careers portal and others as needed.
- Serves as the liaison on all search committees, reviewing candidate applications, facilitating the process, preparing search summaries, processing search waivers, and screening and recommending applicants for interview.
- Manages communication with all candidates throughout the application process.
- Manages interview schedules of invited candidates and remain in communication regarding status of candidate applications throughout the recruitment process.
- Identification and planning for vacancies and pending retirements so that the Division has adequate human resources at all times to manage projects and clinical commitments.
- Refreshes positions on a regular basis when not filled and works with Central HR to ensure positions are posted to appropriate job sites and are closed out in a timely manner when filled.
Onboarding & Exiting:
- Composing and drafting Letters of Offer, including faculty incentives, moving reimbursements, laboratory/office space or other resource commitments. This also includes faculty oath documentation, UPI Member Practice Agreements, Non-Compete documents, Incentive Agreements and other required documents relating to the hiring of new faculty and staff.
- Coordination with University's Human Resources department for all hiring decisions, shepherding electronic approvals and other requirements as needed.
- Confirmation of candidate references as provided.
- Performs background checks, including additional levels as needed for international employees, summer interns, laboratory assistants, or those under the age of 18.
- Preparation of Faculty Recommendation Forms and required paperwork, submission to the Department of Medicine for review and approval, and coordination with the Faculty Affairs office for all new hires.
- Ensures that all division speedtypes and allocations are entered correctly into the HCM system, and employee data is updated as needed.
- Manages all foreign employee and/or visiting scholars onboarding by creating, collecting, and processing visa documentation for any foreign employees and/or visiting scholars.
- Manages the onboarding process of all new hires into the CU system by submitting transactions in the HCM system, assembling all necessary paperwork, and hiring final candidates into HCM upon final approval.
- Manages new employee onboarding by coordinating workspace, badging, orientation, and I-9 paperwork.
- Manages the exit process by closing out records in HCM, processing all leave payout requests, and collecting badges and keys.
- Processes Journal Entries and Payroll Experience Transfers (PETs) to ensure accurate distribution of salaries to appropriate speedtypes.
- Works with Division Administrator and Finance and Research staff to create speedtypes to efficiently budget Division funds.
- Manages funding distributions and processes changes related to personnel expenses including Payroll Expense Transfers, and Suspense report.
- Works with Administrator to ensure that pay is correct and funding sources are accurate and documented.
- Prepare reconciliations, and schedules for assigned speed types and divisional reports.
- Attends monthly campus HR meetings.
- Attends online seminars presented by University HR.
- Earns PHR certification through HR Certification Institute.
- Completes annual WebSpace and capital inventory submission for the Division
- Independently manage all phases of special projects assigned by Division Administrator
- Performs other Human Resources and Finance duties as necessary.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is negotiable and commensurate with skills and experience. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation.
The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at https://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado Denver Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Human Resource Management, Healthcare Administration, Finance, or other related field from an accredited institution.
- Two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management with an emphasis in recruiting and selection.
- Experience working with human resources systems.
- Experienced working with various computer systems and software programs, including MS Office (Word, Excel and Outlook).
Substitution: Relevant education and experience may substitute for the degree on a year-for-year basis, but not for the specific experience.
- Master's degree in Business, Human Resource Management, Healthcare Administration, Finance, or other related field from an accredited institution.
- A minimum of (3) years of progressively responsible experience in human resources management with an emphasis in recruiting and selection.
- PHR or SPHR Certification.
- Experience working with HCM and University of Colorado system of higher education environment.
Competencies/Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles;
- Ability to interpret and communicate University policies to all levels of personnel
- Strong attention to detail and ability to multi-task between several projects
- Strong problem solving skills and ability to take initiative to find answers
- Strong communication skills and attention to detail and ability to interact effectively with all levels of personnel and deliver results in a timely manner
- Proficient skills in Microsoft Office applications, especially Word and Excel;
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision;
- Strong interpersonal skills and excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects
- Ability to resolve financial issues that arise, related to compliance, deficits and new processes.
- Proficiency with various computer systems and software programs, including MS Office (Excel, Access, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Publisher).
- Familiarity with HCM and University of Colorado system of higher education environment.
Special Instructions to Applicants:*Applications are accepted electronically ONLY at www.cu.edu/cu-careers. * REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS: 1). A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications. 2). A current resume/CV. 3). List of 3-5 professional references. Questions should be directed to Mercy Abraham at MERCY.ABRAHAM@UCDENVER.EDU.
Reference checks are a standard step in our hiring process. You may be asked to provide contact information, including e-mail addresses, for up to 5 references if you are referred to the Hiring Authority for an interview. We will notify you prior to contacting both on and off-list references.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:APPLICATION DEADLINE:Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Job Category: Business Services
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20189 - SOM-MED-Gastroenterology
Posting Date: Jul 7, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Mercy Abraham
Posting Contact Email: MERCY.ABRAHAM@UCDENVER.EDU
Position Number: 00691278