Student Services Coordinator II
Student Services Coordinator II
Student Services Coordinator II
Multicultural Center - 210200
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday-Friday, 40 hours/week; Other Times as needed
Join the Division of Institutional Equity and Diversity as we partner with University of North Texas (UNT) faculty, staff and the local community to uphold an inclusive environment that promotes UNT student success. The UNT community actively supports and respects all of our members and is invested in creating opportunities for students, faculty, and staff to thrive.
As one of Texas' largest universities and the 25th largest public university in the nation, UNT is a 500-acre campus located in Denton, Texas, approximately 39 miles from the most dynamic metropolitan areas in the U.S., Dallas/Fort Worth. UNT is home to over 37,000 students and employs over 8,000 faculty and staff members.
The Multicultural Center is a student service under the Division of Institutional Equity and Diversity and was established to cultivate a campus environment where people of all identities and experiences can thrive. It fosters the success and awareness of historically underrepresented student populations with an emphasis on disability, ethnicity, gender, interfaith, race and sexual orientation. The Center's programs and activities are developed to increase the awareness, understanding, and intersectionality of the various identities in the UNT community.
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The Multicultural Center Department at the University of North Texas is seeking to hire a Student Services Coordinator II to join our team.
Reporting to the Director of the Multicultural Center, the Student Services Coordinator II will have the primary responsibility for the development and implementation of educational and cultural programming as well as the oversight of the Multicultural Center's peer mentoring program. The student services coordinator will supervise all student staff and serve as a resource for students' academic, identity and personal development, and social needs.Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Apply previous experience with mentoring and/or other identity-based student success programs.
* Responsible for expanding and maintaining Buddy System Peer Mentoring Program.
* Develop and implement new programs to directly address retention disparity.
* Assist with the facilitation of university wide heritage month celebrations and intersectional programming (i.e. Hispanic Heritage Month, Asian Pacific American Heritage Month)
* Co-coordinate the APAEC conference and assist with the development and delivery of additional identity-based leadership programs both within and outside of the Multicultural Center.
* Develop and maintain information, reference, and resource materials on the Multicultural Center's five focus areas for current and prospective students, faculty, and staff.
* Knowledge and understanding of historically underrepresented student retention and development issues.
* Coordinate educational and awareness-raising programs and initiatives from design to implementation for the campus community.
* Work closely with student organizations, academic departments and other campus units to create collaborative programming.
* Demonstrate a commitment to understanding intersections of identity and incorporate these intersections into programs and services.
* Coordinate programs, workshops, and services around identity development and social justice education, which may include collaboration with the Pride Alliance and other divisional entities and campus partners.
* Assist and serve as an advisor/chaperone for after hours and weekend activities on and off campus i.e. Alternative Spring Break; may include driving a University vehicle.
Student Success and Leadership Development
* Coordinate the Multicultural Center's involvement in Orientation & Transition Programs.
* Assist students in fostering a strong sense of self, strengthening their communities, and building alliances with other departments and campus entities.
* Provide leadership training and development for designated students and student organizations.
* Provide drop-in assistance for students and other constituents in the Multicultural Center.
* Develop and maintain assessment tools and data relative to the work and goals of the position that measure the impact of programs.
* Supervision of Student Assistants.
* Provide direction and supervise assigned student employees in programming.
* Assign and monitor student work hours and production.
* Work with student employees to aid multicultural group officers in events/programs.
* Assist in training of student staff and evaluations of returning student staff.
* Provide support and advise at least (2) student organizations.
The successful candidate will possess a Master's Degree in related field and two years of student services, student affairs, counseling, advising, or related experience; or any equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Experience in program assessment.
* Demonstrated understanding of multiple/intersecting identities of students, faculty and staff related to diversity.
* Excellent oral and written communication skills.
* Demonstrated experience working with college students and engagement/development.
* Strong problem solving/critical thinking skills.
* Strong presentation skills.
* Thorough knowledge of University policies and procedures related to diversity and inclusion (or ability to rapidly assimilate).
* Thorough knowledge of Texas rules and regulations related to functional area.
* Thorough knowledge of higher education/student affairs and diversity theories; ability to apply them to program planning.
* Strong team orientation and ability to work effectively with students, faculty, and staff essential.
* Thorough knowledge of state and nationwide trends regarding enrollment, attrition, retention, and graduation rates.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Quicklink for Posting