UNT Controller - 926200
Is this an internal posting only?
Monday-Friday; 8:00am-5:00pm; or as required
The UNT System Controller department provides all accounting, reporting, and service focused operations for all University of North Texas System component institutions. The areas of responsibility include Campus Accounting & Reporting, Student Accounting Services, Accounts Payable, Payroll, centralized external and internal financial reporting, and external compliance related reporting.
The University of North Texas System is comprised of three component institutions with four major locations: University of North Texas located in Denton, TX, University of North Texas Health Science Center located in Fort Worth, TX, University of North Texas at Dallas located in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas, TX, and University of North Texas System located in Downtown Dallas, TX.
This position is located at our Business Service Center at Woodhill Square, just south of our flagship campus in Denton.
The UNT System Controller Department is seeking to hire an Associate Controller to join our team. The Associate Controller performs complex (mid-level) supervisory work. Work involves establishing accounting and reporting goals and objectives; developing guidelines, procedures, policies, rules, and regulations; developing schedules, priorities, and standards for achieving departmental goals; evaluating department activities; developing budget requests; and coordinating department activities. Assigns and supervises the work of others. Works under general supervision, with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment. This position reports directly to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Finance/Controller.
Responsibilities of the position include, but are not limited to:
* Ensure the accurate and timely processing of all accounting transactions and accounting-related processes
* Ensure compliance with GASB guidelines; Federal, State, and local laws, regulations, codes, and/or standards; and University policies and procedures
* Evaluate and develop improved internal controls to ensure compliance with accounting principles and external regulations
* Identify, develop, modify and maintain planning, budget, and decision support models to support strategic decision making
* Prepare reports for the State Comptroller, the Higher Education Coordinating Board, and others, as required
* Coordinate the annual external financial audit, which includes ensuring work papers and schedules are completed, and auditor findings are resolved
* Coordinate the University's interactions with internal audit and the state auditor
* Manage interagency agreements with for grant accounting and research
* Work with others in preparing and analyzing budget versus actual reporting
* Build service-focused relationships with the executive team at the University
* Recommend and implement revisions in processes procedures to meet University objectives
* Conduct research and analysis, as required
* Manage the University's banking and investment relationships
* Prepare cash flow projections
* Assist in preparing the Legislative Appropriations Request
The University of North Texas System is firmly committed to equal opportunity and does not permit - and takes actions to prevent - discrimination, harassment (including sexual violence), and retaliation on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, family status, genetic information, citizenship or veteran status in its application and admission processes, educational programs and activities, facilities, and employment practices. The University of North Texas System immediately investigates and takes remedial action when appropriate.
The University of North Texas System also takes actions to prevent retaliation against individuals who oppose a discriminatory practice, file a charge, or testify, assist or participate in an investigative proceeding or hearing.
The successful candidate will possess a Bachelor's Degree in related field and eight years of closely related professional experience which provides the following knowledge, skills, and abilities:
* Knowledge of effective managerial methods and techniques and how to establish and maintain en effective workforce
* Ability to plan, assign and supervise the work of subordinates
* Extensive knowledge of University policies and procedures related to accounting and reporting (or ability to rapidly assimilate)
* Extensive knowledge of Texas rules and regulations related to accounting and reporting area (or ability to rapidly assimilate)
* Ability to plan and conceptualize and make sound business decisions
* Must exercise considerable independent and professional judgment in matters of significance
* Strong presentation skills
? Strong problem solving skills
? Strong critical thinking skills
? Strong planning and project management skills
? Ability to communicate effectively with diverse populations verbally and in writing
? Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships
? Ability to work independently
? Knowledge of safety and security precautions appropriate to work performed
The preferred candidate will possess the following additional qualifications:
* Degree in Accounting, advanced degree in business, and direct experience in service related areas noted in function of job, operations or oversight of the same.
* Experience in Texas higher education and State reporting requirements.
* Experience with PeopleSoft, Hyperion, and/or Cognos Business Intelligence for Reporting.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Applicants must submit a resume, a cover letter and a list of three professional references with their online application.
Is this a security sensitive position?
Driving a University Vehicle?
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Salary commensurate with experience
Quicklink for Posting