JOB NO.: 102444-US
Work Type: Staff-Full Time
Department: FP&M/PP SHOPS/PAINTERS
Categories: Facilities, Skilled Trades, Maintenance, Other
Employment Class: University Staff-Ongoing
Position Vacancy ID: 102444
Working Title: PAINTER
Official Title: PAINTER(76400)
Hiring Department: A717105-FACILITIES PLNG AND MGMT/PP SHOPS/PAINTERS
Term: This is an Ongoing appointment
This is journey level painter work on the UW Madison Campus. This position works under the general supervision of the Crafts Worker Supervisor.
The University of Wisconsin-Madison, Physical Plant, is committed to the highest standard of customer relation's principles for its customers, fellow staff members, students, and visitors. Staff will serve as role models by practicing exemplary behaviors when working with customers and fellow staff members.
7:00 am - 3:30 pm, Monday - Friday, 30 min unpaid lunch break.
Instructions to applicants:
Please click on the "Apply Now" button to start the application process.
Starting pay is $31.71 to $32.74 per hour depending on leave time selected.
Applicants will be asked to upload a resume and cover letter. To be minimally qualified you must have the Requirement for Journey Level Recognition (see requirements below).
In your cover letter please describe work experience with repairing and remodeling buildings, work environments you have worked in, material estimating, safety precautions and site conditions. Please list any safety training you have had. Also in the cover letter, indicate which of the requirements for Journey level you have (see below).
1. Preparing surface, sandpaper, spackling and puttying
2. Putty making, paint mixing, color mixing
3. Application of material (priming and finish coats)
4. Removing paint, burning or liquid
Abrasive and water blasting and rigging 492
6. Finishing wood trim with enamel and varnish
7. Pore filling, shellacking, spackling
8. Preparing stains, staining, bleaching wood
9. Blending, glazing
10. Spraying and spray equipment
11. Color mixing, putty making, pumice stone rubbing
12. Preparing, sizing walls
13. Paint stippling
14. Finishing walls with flat coat and enamels
15. Various types of mottling
16. Waterpaints and Latex
17. Textured wall surfaces
18. Drywall taping
19. Preparing, sizing walls
20. Paste making and mixing of prepared paste
21. Applying various types of wall covering
Paid Related Instruction 400
TOTAL 6,240 hours
Formal Apprenticeship: The traditional method of earning journey level status in an apprentice trade is through an indenture between an apprentice, an employer, and, if appropriate, the trade organization. During the term of the indenture, the apprentice would be directly supervised by one or more journey workers. During the indenture, the apprentice would be rotated through all work processes and operations appropriate to the respective trade. Upon recommendation of the supervising journey worker, and approval by an appropriate authority, an apprentice would earn journey worker recognition in the trade in which the indenture was served.
Current Recognition: An alternative method of verifying acquisition of the required journey level skills is to present evidence of current (or fairly recent past) recognition as a journey level Painter by an appropriate authority.
Equivalent Training and Experience: Another method of verifying acquisition of the required journey level skills is to present evidence of having performed all of the activities listed above (at least 6,240 hours); such evidence may include letters or statements from past customers/clients and/or employers, and must satisfy requirements of any recognized trade organization.
Please indicate in your cover letter which of the requirements for Journey level recognition you have.
1. I have successfully completed an approved apprenticeship in the Painter craft and can provide verification if required to do so.
2. I am currently (or previously) employed as a journey level Painter and am recognized as such by an appropriate authority (e.g., labor union, trade organization, etc.), and can provide verification if required to do so.
3. I claim work experience equivalent to that required for successful comple
Additional Link: Full Position Details
NOTE: A Probationary Period will be Required
The University of Wisconsin is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Annual Security and Fire Safety Report contains current campus safety and disciplinary policies, crime statistics for the previous 3 calendar years, and on-campus student housing fire safety policies and fire statistics for the previous 3 calendar years. UW-Madison will provide a paper copy upon request; please contact the University of Wisconsin Police Department.
Advertised: 07 Jul 2017 Central Daylight Time
Application Close: 4 Aug 2017 11:55 PM Central Daylight Time