Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus
Department of Pediatrics
Section of Hematology, Oncology and Bone Marrow Transplantation
Professional Research Assistant
Position #600415 - Requisition #10188
The University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus is a public research university serving more than 18,000 students. We award nearly 4,000 degrees each year, including more graduate and professional degrees than any other Colorado institution. With our solid academic reputation, award-winning faculty and renowned researchers, we offer more than 140 highly rated degree programs through 13 schools and colleges. The University receives over $400 million in research awards each year. In addition to the wide array of health-related programs and facilities offered at CU Anschutz in Aurora, Colo. a significant number of undergraduate and graduate degree programs are taught at CU Denver, our comprehensive campus in the heart of downtown Denver-one of America's most vibrant urban centers. CU Denver is located steps from the Denver Center for Performing Arts and the LoDo District affording our students, faculty and staff access to a broad array of academic, professional, community, recreational and cultural outlets.
The University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus ranks among the top institutions nationally in clinical care, education and research. Its 230-acre campus, designed to enhance collaboration and interprofessional education, hosts the College of Nursing; the Schools of Dental Medicine, Medicine, Pharmacy, and Public Health; the Graduate School; a Health Sciences Library; and two hospitals. Strategically located contiguous to the campus are a biosciences research park and the soon-to-be-completed Veterans Hospital. CU Anschutz offers two undergraduate degrees, 35 graduate degrees, and five first-professional programs. More than 4,000 students learn alongside faculty members who also make meaningful medical discoveries and provide expert clinical care through 1.5 million patient-visits annually. A hub for research and innovation, CU Anschutz receives over $400 million in research awards each year and has filed 1,300 patent applications and formed 53 new companies since 2002.
A national leader in health care and life sciences, CU Anschutz is the only comprehensive academic health sciences center in Colorado and the largest in the Rocky Mountain region. Located in Aurora, Colo., it is one of the newest education, research and patient care facilities in the world. With six schools and colleges, CU Anschutz trains the health sciences workforce of the future by blending education, research and clinical care all in one place. This strategic collaboration among diverse health care fields allows knowledge to travel directly from the research bench to the patient's bedside. Read CU Anschutz Quick Facts here.
The University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus is committed to recruiting and supporting a diverse student body, faculty and administrative staff. The university strives to promote a culture of inclusiveness, respect, communication and understanding.
The University of Colorado Denver, Anschutz Medical Campus is seeking applications for a Professional Research Assistant. This full-time, University Staff (non-classified) position, in the Section of Hematology, Oncology, and Bone Marrow Transplantation is responsible for: Laboratory-based translational research on pediatric brain tumors. As well as conduct experiments, assist with project planning, data interpretation, authorship of presentations and publications, and lab management.
Examples of Work Performed:
- Collaboration with PI or other PRAs
- Perform studies as related to research project
- Preparation of tissues, cell cultures, for testing
- Animal care related to research procedures
- Microscopic analysis
- Work with adenoviruses and retroviruses
- Perform recombinant DNA and protein work
- Monitor cell interactions
- Modify, test, verify and analyze research data
- Prepare samples for analysis by various instrumentation
- Perform experiments
- Tabulate research data
- Record results of experiments
- Develop and maintain research databases
- Diagnose and solve system/software problems, install applications software as related to research needs
- Provide computational research and administrative support
- Diagnose and problem solve as it relates to the research project
- Conduct literature searches
- Training of laboratory personnel in experimentation techniques
- Prepare research presentations
PLEASE NOTE: Candidates will be responsible for travel expenses related to the interview process and any relocation expenses, if applicable.
Salary and Benefits:
The hiring salary for this position is $39,000 - $42,000. This position is not eligible for overtime compensation. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- BS/BA in biology or microbiology
- One year laboratory experience
- Excellent communication skills using the English language
Condition of Employment:
- Must be willing and able to pass a national criminal background check
Required Competencies: Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Able to troubleshoot, design experiments, and collaborate amongst peers
- Ability to follow and maintain protocols when handling hazardous materials
- MS degree in biology
- Experience in mouse models of cancer
- Experience in microscopy
- Experience using flowjo/kaluza flow cytometry analysis software
- Previous experience with mouse models, including performing tail vein injections, sacrifice, drug treatments
- Demonstrated experience conducting experiments using: molecular biology techniques, including RT-PCR, quantitative PCR, cell culture of suspension and adherent cells
- Previous experience handling human tumor samples using universal precautions
- Experience with graphpad prism and statistical analysis methods
- Previous experience maintaining accurate documentation in a laboratory journal and reporting data and procedures obtained from separate projects, including oral presentations
Special Instructions to Applicants:
Questions should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10188
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20877 - SOM-PEDS Hematology-Onc-GenOps
Posting Date: Jul 7, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Paul Lopez
Posting Contact Email: Paul.J.Lopez@ucdenver.edu
Position Number: 00600415