University of Colorado - School of Medicine
HIRING UNIT: Dr. Regie Santos-Cortez Laboratory
POSITION TITLE: POSTDOCTORAL FELLOW/TRAINEE
POSITION CLASSIFICATION: RESEARCH FACULTY
POSITION JOB CODE: 1438
HRMS POSITION NUMBER: 00688442
Overall Description of Responsibility or Nature of Work:
The Department of Otolaryngology at the University of Colorado, School of Medicine is seeking applicants for a full time postdoctoral researcher in the laboratory of Dr. Regie Santos-Cortez. Dr. Santos-Cortez has a newly funded R01 study aimed at the discovery of genetic variants that confer susceptibility to otitis media and induce shifts in the microbiome of the human middle ear. This study is highly collaborative with the involvement of seven other universities, both national and international. Preliminary data is being generated for multiple projects with non-otitis media phenotypes as well. These projects involve the analyses of high-throughput sequence data from human DNA, RNA and microbiome samples, with the goal of performing integrative analyses once a sufficiently large dataset is accumulated from ongoing recruitment. The results of these projects are expected to be translational and have immediate impact to otologic and genetic counseling services being provided to specific families. Exome, RNA and microbiome data from otitis media families are available for analyses upon hire.
Areas of Responsibility / Scope of Research
- Statistical analysis using genomic data: DNA variant identification using sequence data, linkage analysis, family-based association tests, genome-wide association studies, RNA-seq analysis, pathway analysis, microbiome analysis
- Data management: storage and backup of sequence data, tracking of data from samples and families from multiple cohorts
- Manuscript writing and presentation of results at meetings
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a PhD/MD in a field directly related to genetics, genetic epidemiology, statistical genetics, biostatistics, bioinformatics, biology, computer science, epidemiology, immunology, microbiology.
- Must be able to perform independent project-based analyses and write manuscripts within reasonable time.
- Must be comfortable with using a Linux platform and performing server-based analyses.
- Ability to coordinate with multiple laboratories through excellent multi-tasking and effective communication skills is highly desired.
- Previous experience in the analytic techniques enumerated above is preferred.
- Additional skills in NGS variant calling (e.g. GATK) or programming (e.g. R, Python, C++) is highly desired.
- Previous analytic experience and first-author publications from a genetics-related project will be considered as a primary determinant for choosing the ideal candidate.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
Special Instructions to Applicants:Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References, Additional Attachments - Refer to Application Materials Instructions Below
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10207
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV, Proof of Degree (If degree is pending, please specify expected graduation date and cumulative GPA). Accepted manuscripts (Recruitment committee will keep finding confidential until published).
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20264 - SOM-Otolaryngology
Posting Date: Jul 7, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Regie Santos-Cortez
Posting Contact Email: REGIE.SANTOS-CORTEZ@UCDENVER.EDU
Position Number: 00688442