Salary: $44,200 - $76,500
Title: General Accountant
Category: Management and Professional
Date Posted: 07/07/2017
Position Information: The General Accountant processes daily check write; performs accounting for special state and general fund appropriations; reconciles various complex balance sheet accounts including intercampus transactions; performs reconciliation and remittance of sales/use tax and other returns and prepares corresponding reports; processes insurance related journals; prepares journal entries and reports for student loan funds; prepares intercampus transfers and recharges, assists and supports campus departments with questions and other inquiries regarding general ledger transactions; performs accounting activities for service and auxiliary enterprise funds; and assists with year-end closing activities. Performs other duties as assigned. Candidates selected for an interview will be required to complete a pre-employment assessment as part of the interview and selection process.
Minimum Requirements: Knowledge of financial transactions and financial systems, as well as related policy, accounting and regulatory compliance requirements.
Ability to gather, organize and perform basic accounting related analysis.
Advanced skills using personal computer skills using Microsoft office products (Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint).
Proficiency in use of common desktop/web applications.
Knowledge analysis of moderate accounting projects.
Practical knowledge of journal entries consistent with Generally Accepted Accounting Practices (GAAP) and institutional requirements. Knowledge of reconciling complex balance sheet accounts and researching/resolving discrepancies; applying complex policies, rules and regulations.
Knowledge of accounting function and assignments.
Skill in providing superior customer service and maintaining equanimity when conflict arises.
Ability to present information in a clear and concise manner both in writing and verbally.
Preferred Qualifications: Knowledge of fund accounting practices and methods.
Knowledge of University of California, Riverside Financial System (UCRFS) and/or PeopleSoft, UCRFS Totals, and Student Information System (SIS).
Additional Information: In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities'air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student, faculty and staff member the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
UC Riverside is recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the country boasting several key rankings of which we are extremely proud.
- Washington Monthly (August 2016) ranked UC Riverside 12th in the nation in its annual University and College Survey. \
- Education Trust placed UC Riverside 9th in the nation for closing the graduation gap between black and white students by 1.7 percentage points.
- In QS World University Rankings 2016/2017, UC Riverside's Department of Philosophy is #1 in the world for the frequency with which published papers are cited by other philosophers.
- U.S. News and World Report Survey (September 2016) ranked UC Riverside 118th overall; earns "Great Schools, Great Prices."
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University (August 2016) Academic Ranking of World Universities ranked UC Riverside among the top 151 to 200 institutions. This survey bills itself as "the most trustworthy precursor of global rankings of the world's top 500 universities."
- U.S. News and World Report's Best Graduate Schools (2016) including:
- Graduate School of Education - 62nd among ranked schools
- Bourns College of Engineering - 71st among ranked schools
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview