Development and External Relations Officer
Posting Number NC794P
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/21284
Working Title Development and External Relations Officer
Position Number 10509
Department Agricultural, Food and Life Sciences
About the University
Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Located in the stunning Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country's finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation's best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College/Department
- The top of "the Hill," as the U of A campus is also known, belongs to Bumpers College. Our Horticulture Display Gardens and Rosen Center greenhouses, which are just north of the Human Environmental Sciences Building, are at the highest elevation on campus, about 1,465 feet above sea level. The Hill is actually named University Heights.
- Teaching and research in agriculture were mandated by the Morrill Land Grant College Act, under which the University of Arkansas was founded in 1871. The College of Agriculture was established in 1905 to organize agriculture courses into seven departments.
- 2,168 students were enrolled in the fall of 2015, including 1,811 undergraduates and 357 graduate students pursuing M.S. and Ph.D. degrees.
- Bumpers College is known for its friendly, family-like atmosphere.
Department Home Page http://bumperscollege.uark.edu/
Job Type Staff
Summary of Job Duties
The Development and External Relations Officer will assist the Director of Development in Bumpers College and the Dean's Office with stewardship and cultivation activities, from written communications to special events. The External Relations Officer schedules and supports travel appointments, including arranging hotels, flights, and car rentals, and manages follow up as needed for the Director of Development; has a willingness to travel on behalf of the Bumpers College and work irregular hours as needed; and performs administrative duties as assigned and adhere to University Development policies and procedures.
This position will assist Bumpers College departments and programs seeking to host fundraising events, to obtain the necessary pre-event approval(s), and establish on-line registration(s) when requested; work with Communications Director to coordinate PR and media releases pertaining to the Office of Development and External Relations; manage the development and external relations team budget and, with the financial officer, prepare periodic budgetary reports.
This position reports directly to the Director of Development and External Relations in Bumpers College.
Regular, reliable, and non-disruptive attendance is an essential job function of this job, as is the ability to create and maintain collegial, harmonious working relationships with others.
Minimum Qualifications: Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher education
- At least one year of experience in development and external relations, event planning, public relations, marketing, or a related area
Does this job require any license(s)/certification(s)? No
If yes, please specify
- At least two years of experience in development and external relations, event planning, public relations, marketing, or a related area
- Previous, successful experience in development and external relations, preferably in higher education
- Experience with volunteers in a fundraising program
- Familiarity with a university campus and an academic unit or college
- Willingness to travel on behalf of Bumpers College and work irregular hours as needed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong administrative skills
- Proficient skills in Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to accept input as well as supervisory guidance
- Ability to travel on behalf of Bumpers College and work irregular hours as needed
Physical activities associated with this position
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Compliance 479-575-4019.
- Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
- Repetitive motion
The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; and/or visual inspection at distances close to the eyes.
Physical Conditions None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Work Schedule Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (hours/days may vary based on department needs)
Overtime Eligible No
Is this position weather/event essential? If yes, the employee in this position will report to work at the scheduled time when the University is closed due to inclement conditions. No
Work Location/Building Fayetteville Campus - Agricultural, Food, and Life Sciences Building
Benefits Eligible Yes
Appointment Percent 100
Does this Position require a Motor Vehicle Reports Check? No
Does this position require a background check? Yes
If yes, please specify
- Criminal background check
- Sex offender registry check
Does this position require a substance abuse test? No
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background and sex offender registry check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Posting Detail Information
Future Open Date
Close Date 07/21/2017
Open Until Filled No
Anticipated Start Date 09/04/2017
Anticipated End Date (for temporary appointments)
Recruitment Contact Information
Ms. Terry Bumgardner
Director of Development and External Relations
1120 West Maple Street
Fayetteville, AR 72701
All application materials must be uploaded to the U of A's employment system at jobs.uark.edu. Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Special Instructions Summary
Hiring Location 222 Administration Building Fayetteville, AR 72701.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race/color, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Internal Posting No
City, St. Fayetteville, AR
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is the highest level of education you have obtained?
- Associate's degree
- Bachelor's degree
- Master's degree or higher
- None of the above
- * Please indicate your years of experience in development and external relations, event planning, public relations, marketing, or a related area.
- No Experience
- Less than six months
- At least one year, but less than two years
- Two years or more
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Letter(s) of Recommendation (1)
- Letter(s) of Recommendation (2)
- Proof of Veterans Status