State Budget Analyst
Position Number 00076
Position Classification Title Budget Analyst
Functional Title State Budget Analyst
Position Type Staff
Financial Planning & Budgets provides basic information and guidance to all departments/schools and offices of the University concerning the establishment, revision, reporting, administration and control of budgets as directed by the Chancellor, Board of Governors, State Budget Director and North Carolina General Statutes.
Financial Planning & Budgets coordinates the preparation of the biennial budget request and administers those budgets when approved. The office also administers budgets for auxiliary operations, the Chancellor's allocation of unrestricted gifts and investment income, student fees and overhead receipts. The office plays an integral role in the issuance of bonds to finance self-supporting construction projects and prepares financial projections for auxiliary operations and student fees.
The budgetary administration of state and trust accounts are conducted under state budget policy. The nature of each account type determines whether formal budgetary controls are required. Ultimate responsibility for accountability, administration and control of all budgets has been delegated by the Chancellor to the Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs.
The Office of Financial Planning & Budgets is currently seeking qualified candidates for the State Budget Analyst position.
The primary purpose of this position is to:
- Manage the University's State Operating Budget - approx. $267 million for FY2016-2017.
- Ensure the salaries are recorded correctly - approx. $196 million for FY2016-2017.
- University Debt Issue Reporting Backup
- Carry-forward monitoring
- Business Affairs budget coordination and execution
- Distance and Regular Term course pair cost analysis (when required)
- Prepare additional reports and analyses as requested
Duties and essential tasks include:
- The development and execution of the Reversion Plan, the biennial Continuation and Results Based Budgeting, the annual Expansion budgets, as well as providing assurance that the budget that is authorized by the Legislature, OSBM, and internal transfers agree to the authorized budget by purpose and account.
- Provide information for the State Operating Budget Book and Student Fee Budget Book. Roll the state operating budgets from one year to the next. The final approval for all budget flexibility transfers.
- Work with the EPA and SPA technicians to ensure that the salaries in Banner Finance agree to the salaries in Banner HR.
- Preparation of materials for University debt issues and required annual continuing disclosure. While this is a primary function of the Accountant in the office, this position is expected to perform this function if the Accountant is unavailable.
- Record and track the annual carry-forward. Work with divisions to ensure that the carry-forward budgets are recorded and spent properly.
- Work with the various departments and administrative unit managers within Business Affairs to plan and manage their state budgets.
- Coordinate and prepare reports for the course pair comparisons between Regular Term and Distance Education courses to determine the cost difference between the two methodologies.
The University of North Carolina at Greensboro is a world-class, research intensive, regional University with a diverse portfolio of expertise and a particular focus on fostering healthy lives, vibrant communities and global connections. UNCG is a leading institution within the 17-campus University of North Carolina System. Recognized for its programs in the Music, Theater and Dance; Nursing; Business; Education; Life and Physical Sciences; and Health and Human Sciences, UNCG continues to grow its enrollment and enjoys the most diverse student populations of all the UNC system universities. With more than 19,000 students, UNCG has a significant and positive impact in North Carolina and the Greensboro/Triad area in particular. UNCG is nationally recognized for its distance learning initiative and serves many rural areas of North Carolina with its highly rated online educational programs. Established in 1892, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro was founded as the first public university in North Carolina for women. In 1963 the school became co-educational, but the legacy of providing both opportunity and excellence continues today.
Benefits include but are not limited to:
- Health Insurance - NC State Health Plan (NC Smart Choice)
- Dental, Vision, Life Insurance, FSAs and more (NC Flex)
- Retirement (Teachers' and State Employees' Retirement System and Optional Retirement Program)
- Employee Assistance Program
- Vacation, Sick, Community Service, FMLA Leave
- Longevity Pay
- Eligible to become a member of the State Employees Credit Union
- Employee Award Programs
- Employee Wellness Resources
- and more.
Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Accounting, or related discipline; or equivalent combination of training and experience. All degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
- Five (5) - seven (7) years of experience.
- Bachelor's Degree in directly related field.
If no applicants apply who meet the required competency level and training & experience requirements, then management may consider other applicants. Salary would be determined based on competencies, equity, budget, and market considerations.
Recruitment Range $58,886 - $80,949
Org #-Department Financial Planning & Budgets - 56203
Work Hours of Position 8 A.M - 5 P.M, Monday - Friday
Job Family Administrative and Managerial
Band Budget Analyst
Competency Level Advanced
2-4 key competencies for successful execution of job duties, including chosen level definition:
Professional - Knowledge
Technical, professional, and regulatory knowledge to resolve unique or highly complex situations. Ability to perform a large number of widely varying and functionally diverse assignments that require in-depth analysis and problem solving. Ability to develop work concepts, policies, and procedures using broad guidelines, methods, and procedures.
Ability to identify the impact of events or decisions on stakeholders/customers. Ability to weigh and prioritize the costs, benefits, risks, or chances for success. Ability to identify parameters, limitations, or boundaries that impact programs. Ability to measure outcomes of problem resolution and take further action as needed.
Ability to structure information in keeping with listener's experience, background, and expectations. Ability to use terms, examples, and analogies that are meaningful to the listener. Ability to use an effective and approachable style that engages others and builds credibility.
Ability to regularly provide expertise and counsel to internal/external customers (e.g. divisions, department management, others). Ability to interpret and synthesize data based on professional expertise and broad understanding of organizational impact. to identify trends that impact service delivery to groups or individual customers. Ability to develop plans to improve service delivery based on customer feedback.
Open Date 07/07/2017
Close Date 07/18/2017
Job Close Date
Type of Appointment 1.0 (Full-Time)
Salary Grade Equivalency 78
Number of Months per Year 12
- Cover Letter
- List of References
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Which of the following options best describes your higher education history?
- No Response
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in a directly related field
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in an unrelated field
- Associate's Degree in a directly related field
- Associate's Degree in an unrelated field
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- less than 1 year
- High School Diploma or GED
- * How many years of experience in a directly related field do you have?
- No Response
- 6 or more years
- 5 years
- 4 years
- 3 years
- 2 years
- 1 year
- 4 months
- less than 4 months
- * Please indicate how you learned of the vacant position for which you are applying:
- UNCGjobsearch Website
- Piedmont Triad Area Newspaper
- The Chronicle of Higher Education
- Inside Higher Ed
- Other professional journal / website
- UNC School System Job Board
- Personal Networking
- * If you selected "Other", please provide the name of the resource here.
(Open Ended Question)
To learn more or to apply for this position please visit our UNCGjobsearch website at https://jobsearch.uncg.edu