Associate Dean and Fackler Director of the Health Science Center Libraries (tenure track)
The George A. Smathers Libraries invite applications and nominations from creative leaders for the position of Associate Dean and Fackler Director of the Health Science Center Libraries (Fackler Director). The Fackler Director is a faculty position that provides leadership and vision for the Health Science Center Libraries (HSCL), comprised of the Health Science Center Library in Gainesville and the Borland Library in Jacksonville. The Director is responsible for the overall management of the HSCL, which is one of the largest medical and health science library systems in the Southeast, and contributes to the overall management of the Smathers Libraries as an Associate Dean. The Director also serves in an ex officio leadership role in the Health Science Center. See the HSCL Organization Chart for more information.
The Fackler Director ensures that the HSCL achieve their mission to serve the six colleges of the University of Florida Health Science Center (HSC) and the associated centers, institutes, hospitals and clinics, as well as to provide appropriate community services. In order to fulfill this mission, the Director routinely consults and actively engages with the Sr. Vice President of Health Affairs and other senior leadership in UF Health.
The HSC includes the Colleges of Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health and Health Professions, and Veterinary Medicine. It also includes the Clinical and Translational Science Institute; Center for Pharmacodynamics; Diabetes Institute; Emerging Pathogens Institute; Genetics Institute; Institute on Aging; Institute for Child and Health Policy; Institute for Therapeutic Innovation; McKnight Brain Institute; and UF Health Cancer Center. The HSCL also support the broader clinical and research missions of UF Health, including: UF Health Shands Hospital in Gainesville, UF Health Jacksonville, UF Research and Academic Center at Lake Nona; and the Innovation Incubator at the Sid Martin campus in Alachua, as well as a variety of primary and specialty clinics.
The primary clientele of the HSCL were responsible for over $376 million in research awards in 2016. The HSCL support these efforts by providing access to essential research content, as well as facilitating public access compliance and data management, and offering systematic reviews and other services, all in a technology-rich environment. Since 1999, the HSCL have operated a liaison program that facilitates partnerships with academic faculty, researchers and clinicians by assigning one or more dedicated librarians to each College or Department.
The Smathers Libraries encourage staff participation in reaching management decisions; consequently the Fackler Director will lead or serve on various committees and teams. To support all students and faculty and foster excellence in a diverse and global society, the Director will be expected to include individuals of diverse backgrounds, experiences, races, ethnicities, gender identities, sexual orientation, and perspectives in work activities.
The Fackler Director will contribute to the profession via research and service. The Director is expected to achieve tenure. The tenure and promotion criteria for the HSCL are available in the Libraries Career Development Handbook.
- Provision of visionary leadership and strategic management to support the education, research, and clinical missions of the University of Florida Health Science Center.
- Management of approximately $4.0 million budget; definition and delivery of library services that are responsive to students, faculty and other library users; and oversight of library facilities in Gainesville and Jacksonville.
- Supervision of 14 faculty and 12 staff between the Gainesville and Jacksonville campuses and mentoring HSCL faculty through the tenure and promotion process.
- Direction of content management for the HSCL and acquisition of library materials to meet the needs of the students, faculty, staff and clinicians of the HSC with a materials budget of approximately $2.4 million.
- Participation in the administration of the Smathers Libraries to support discovery, engagement, and the use of knowledge for the entire University community, including the collaborative allocation of a combined $12.3 million materials budget.
- Representation of the HSCL in the state, region and nation, including participation in state-wide committees of academic library consortia and health and medical science library consortia, in addition to service on or leadership of a variety of campus-wide and library-wide committees and task forces.
- Engagement in research and contribution through service at the institutional and professional levels suitable to the assignment and rank.
Please note this position is also posted at the ranks of Associate Dean & Associate-In Libraries and Senior Associate-In Libraries (non-tenure track). Refer to Requisition #502883.Advertised Salary:
Actual salary will reflect selected professional’s experience and credentials.Minimum Requirements:
DEADLINE DATE: Position is open until filled. Applications will be reviewed as received. The preliminary schedule for screening interviews is mid-September 2017, so candidates are encouraged to submit their applications by no later than Friday, August 25, 2017.
To apply, submit 1) a cover letter detailing your interest in and qualifications for this position; 2) your current resume or CV; and 3) a list of three references including their contact information (address, telephone number, and email). Submit all application materials through the Careers at UF online application system. Incomplete applications will not be considered. If you have any questions or concerns about this process, please contact Bonnie Smith, Smathers Libraries Human Resources Office, at email@example.com.
Final candidate will be required to provide official transcript to the hiring department upon hire. A transcript will not be considered “official” if a designation of “Issued to Student” is visible. Degrees earned from an education institution outside of the United States are required to be evaluated by a professional credentialing service provider approved by National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES), which can be found at http://www.naces.org/.
The University of Florida is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. If an accommodation due to a disability is needed to apply for this position, please call 352/392-2477 or the Florida Relay System at 800/955-8771 (TDD). Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the US. Searches are conducted in accordance with Florida's Sunshine Law.Health Assessment Required: No