HR Business Partner,Employee Relations-Office of Human Resource
This position initially will be focused in the area of employee relations (ER) and provide human resources consultation and support to all employees at the University of Denver. It is likely for this position to transition to an HR Business Partner role in support of specific academic units and/or non-academic divisions in the future.
ER strives to foster a work environment that is respectful, fair and equitable in support of the University's mission and core values. ER provides guidance to University leaders and employees on a variety of workplace and performance related concerns while ensuring compliance with local, state and federal laws and University policies. ER also partners with business unit leaders to provide strategic and operational recommendations.
- Provide guidance and interpretation to divisional leadership on HR related items including workforce planning, recruiting, onboarding and other HR functions as necessary.
- Manage employee relation matters for University employees involving employee performance/conduct issues, re-organizations including lay-offs, grievances, terminations, performance management, (and other related activities) for approximately 6,000 University employees.
- Conduct workplace investigations based on potential violations of University policy.
- Conduct research into new/pending laws and regulations as to the impact on existing employment policies and practices for the University.
- Consult and advise managers in the administration and interpretation of the collective bargaining agreement with respect to employee relations and policy matters.
- Assist in developing curriculum and execute campus-wide supervisor training, including annual legal update and other best practice compliance training.
- Assist in developing and implementing HR policies and procedures including the employee handbook and related policies and procedures to ensure compliance with Local, State and Federal Labor and Employment Law.
- Work closely with divisional leadership, managers, supervisors, and employees to improve working relationships, build morale, and increase productivity and employee retention.
- Work with divisional leadership to identify training needs and deliver learning programs.
- Provide guidance on background check processing including determination of eligibility for hire.
- Provide guidance on unemployment responses and attend hearings as necessary, assist in response to EEOC and other employee-related legal and regulatory matters.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Strong knowledge and application of effective organization design, workforce planning, recruiting, selection, on-boarding, performance management, employee relations and delivering learning programs.
- Working knowledge of existing employment and labor laws including ADA, Title VII, ADEA, FLSA, FMLA, NLRA, and Unemployment.
- Demonstrated consulting skills in assisting employees and managers with proven success to resolve complex employee relations questions and issues.
- Demonstrated experience managing a heavy and complex case load with success.
- Workplace investigation experience.
- Demonstrated presentation and training experience to all levels of employees and management including online presentations.
- Ability to apply creative solutions to questions and problems and a willingness to stretch ones comfort zone in meeting customer needs.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills including ability to interact and communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently, collaboratively, and across teams with a focus on service orientation.
- Customer-focused orientation with a high level of professionalism and discretion.
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion.
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least four years of progressive experience in employee relations, human resource administration, HR Generalist/Business Partner capacity.
- Labor relations experience.
- Experience analyzing HR trends and metrics in developing solutions, programs and policies.
- Highly proficient in use of HRIS, PowerPoint, Excel.
- Certification in Human Resource Management from the Human Resource Certification Institute (HRCI), or Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM).
- Previous experience in Higher Education.
- Spanish language skills.
- Familiarity with Banner.
Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Exempt positions are posted for a minimum of 10 business days; however, applications are reviewed as submitted and it is in your best interest to complete your application as quickly as possible after the positions is posted.
Candidates must apply online through www.du.edu/jobs to be considered. Only applications submitted online will be accepted. Once within the job description online, please scroll to the bottom of the page to apply. For questions about this position, please contact the Human Resources department.
Please include the following documents with your application:
- Cover Letter