Faculty, Culinary Arts
General Statement of Job
To instruct students in Culinary Arts courses in accordance with College policies and procedures.
Location Eastview Campus Hours As assigned. Salary Salary is assigned according to the Full-Time Faculty Salary Scale. FLSA Status Exempt Reports To Department Chair-Culinary Arts Criminal Background Check Pre-employment criminal background checks are required for all Staff and Faculty positions. Pre-employment urinalyses drug screens are also required for all top candidates considered for positions in ACC's College Police department.
Description of Duties and Tasks
Essential duties and responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
Additional Job Specific Duties
- Assists with tours, new student orientation, and site visits at area high schools with culinary programs
- Assist the department with projects as they arise, such as catering events, planning of curriculum as assigned by department chair.
- Assist in departmental student advising
- Mentor new adjunct as assigned
Must possess required knowledge and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Knowledge of effective instructional techniques and innovative modes of course delivery adaptable to a variety of learning styles.
- Must be knowledgeable about and capable of using current technologies in the classroom and to convey online course content.
- Extensive knowledge of the discipline, subject matter, and related and/or relevant topics and issues in the teaching discipline.
- Understanding the comprehensive mission and philosophy of community colleges.
- Sensitive issues relating to a diverse student body.
- Principles and practices associated with Servant-Leadership.
Must possess required skills and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
- Effective leadership, team building skills and a strong customer-orientation when working with diverse students, faculty, administration, community and business leaders.
- Effective planning, organizing, communication, and interpersonal skills including use of tact and discretion and the ability to meet deadlines.
- Effective assistance of student learning, using a variety of learning styles.
- Interacting with students of diverse backgrounds.
- Being punctual for classes and office hours.
- Maintaining an established schedule that may vary by semester and that may include evenings and weekends and multiple campus locations.
- Maintaining confidentiality of student information.
- Demonstrated proficiency using computer applications, online resources, and other technologies for the classroom and online learning as well as to develop and build course content and perform administrative duties (posting office hours, syllabi, grades, etc.).
Required Work Experience
- Three years work experience in the culinary industry.
Preferred Work Experience
- Six years or more preferred culinary management industry. Position of Executive Chef, Lead Chef, Banquet Chef, Pastry Chef
- Prior college level teaching preferred.
- Team player with faculty and staff. Able to guide students with patience and clear understanding.
- In accordance with SACSCOC accreditation requirements: Bachelor's degree in Culinary Arts, Hospitality, Food Science or Hotel/Restaurant Management, or Associate degree in Culinary Arts, Hospitality, Food Science or Hotel/Restaurant Management.
SACSCOC requirements may differ depending on the courses taught within the discipline. For specific requirements by course, please see the current year Faculty Qualifications Table located at http://www.austincc.edu/faculty/credentials/.
- Must have a min. of Associate degree in Culinary Arts or Hotel Restaurant Management.
- Reliable transportation may be required for teaching in multiple campus locations.
- Food Handler's Certificate, Serve Safe Managers preferred
- Ability to communicate effectively with students.
- Work is routinely performed in a classroom setting.
- Manual dexterity and physical ability to demonstrate and use tools and equipment used in Culinary Arts.
Other Preferred Qualifications
- Experience using Blackboard and other online technologies and resources.
- Strong knowledge of basic to advanced culinary techniques and principles.
- Foundations in classical cuisine.
- Staying current to industry trends in the culinary field.
- Work safely and follow safety rules. Report unsafe working conditions and behavior. Take reasonable and prudent actions to prevent others from engaging in unsafe practices.
ACC Benefits Overview
Full-time Faculty and Staffing Table employees who work in full-time and/or part-time positions at the College are eligible for ACC medical benefits effective the first of the month after their first 60 days of employment. Benefits include medical, dental, life insurance, short and long term disability, retirement plans and AD&D.
ACC does not participate in Social Security. ACC participates in the Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) and the Optional Retirement Program (ORP-Faculty Only). Part-time and Hourly employees participate in the ACC Money Purchase Plan (ACCMPP) as a retirement program required by Federal law.
The above description is an overview of the job. It is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities of the job, nor is it intended to be an all-inclusive list of the skills and abilities required to do the job. Duties and responsibilities may change with business needs. ACC reserves the right to add, change, amend, or delete portions of this job description at any time, with or without notice. Employees may be required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned. In addition, reasonable accommodations may be made by ACC as its discretion to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Austin Community College provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics.