Senior Professional Research Assistant
University of Colorado - School of Medicine
Senior Professional Research Assistant
The Espinosa lab in the Department of Pharmacology has an opening for a full-time Senior Professional Research Assistant to work at the University of Colorado Anschutz Medical Campus in Aurora. We are seeking a highly motivated bioinformatics specialist to join our team researching the mechanisms of gene expression and the roles of gene networks in controlling cellular function. Current areas of interest within the lab include: 1. Studying the role of interferon signaling in Down syndrome. 2. Using functional genomic screens to develop combinatorial therapeutic strategies for cancer. 3. Understanding how oncogenic transcription regulators and tumor suppressors control gene expression networks.
This position reports directly to the PI and Instructors in the Department of Pharmacology, and is responsible for performing rigorous and valid research in collaboration with other scientists on the team. The successful candidate will have extensive computational and analytical skills and a demonstrated ability perform the tasks outlined below.
Please provide a detailed cover letter explaining your suitability for the position along with your research experience and goals
Salary and Benefits:
Salary is commensurate with skills and experience. The University of Colorado offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at Employee Services.
The University of Colorado Denver is dedicated to ensuring a safe and secure environment for our faculty, staff, students and visitors. To assist in achieving that goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective employees.
The University of Colorado strongly supports the principle of diversity. We encourage applications from women, ethnic minorities, persons with disabilities and all veterans. The University of Colorado is committed to diversity and equality in education and employment.
The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires that verification of employment eligibility be documented for all new employees by the end of the third day of work. Alternative formats of this ad are available upon request for persons with disabilities.
- M.S. degree or higher in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or related field.
- Extensive experience in the analysis of next-generation sequencing data (RNA sequencing, whole exome sequencing, etc.)
- Excellent organizational and time management skills
- Flexibility in prioritizing multiple analysis projects
- Ability to develop new skills
Required Competencies/Knowledge/Skills and abilities
- Competency with UNIX and in-depth knowledge of shell scripting
- Ability to run and troubleshoot jobs in high performance computing environments (e.g. SLURM and Torque/PBS scheduling)
- Extensive ability to code both R and python
- Extensive experience with next generation sequencing data processing and analysis pipelines (RNAseq, ChIPseq, whole exome sequencing, etc.)
- Experience mining cancer genomics and related data sets.
- Familiarity with other high throughput data analysis such as proteomics and mass cytometry
- Experience with molecular biology laboratory techniques and research
- Ability to understand and decode software implementations in other programming languages such as C, C++, and Java.
- Advanced statistical knowledge as applied to genomics
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Application Materials Instructions:
Applications are accepted electronically at CU Careers, refer to requisition ID: 10187
When applying, applicants must include:
- A letter of application which specifically addresses the job requirements and outlines qualifications
- A current Resume/CV
- The names, addresses, daytime telephone numbers and e-mail addresses for three professional references, either attached to your resume/CV or uploaded as a separate document
Please do not submit any of your application material (via email) to the job posting contact.
Job Category: Faculty
Primary Location: Aurora
Department: H0001 -- Anschutz Medical Campus - 20120 - SOM - Pharmacology
Posting Date: Jul 6, 2017
Closing Date: Ongoing
Posting Contact Name: Jennifer Orsund
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00656259