This position will be an integral part of each student's relationship with the College of Education from initial inquiry to alumni. This position is responsible for general academic advising, all aspects of admissions to COE academic programs, maintaining student records and providing support to and between COE students, faculty and staff.
- Provide general administrative support for the Teaching and Learning department.
- Analyze all aspects of domestic and international admissions application requirements for the College of Education and the university to check for accuracy and identify deficiencies. Responsible for ensuring all admission records and supporting documents are in compliance with university and college requirements; including but not limited to, transcripts, resume, GMAT/GRE, letters of recommendation, and all additional application requirements until admissions is approved or denied.
- Work closely with students to ensure they have met all application requirements in order to determine approval, denial or provisional acceptance of application.
- Support academic advising for College of Education students
- Coordinate and collaborate with the College of Education departments and campus offices (the Graduate School, Office of International Affairs, Admission & Records) on admissions, registration and monitoring of prospective and enrolling students: 1) to ensure the academic pursuits of prospective students, applicants, and matriculated students are progressing 2) to make recommendations for exceptions to written policy 3) to stay informed of current and changing policies and procedures 4) and to address and resolve admissions and enrollment issues
- Responsible for a variety of projects such as: creating group interview processes, reviewing application criteria, and cross-examining the college website and printed materials for consistency. There may, on occasion, be special projects assigned by the Dean's Office for accreditation or assessment initiatives.
- Recommend strategies and provide professional support the Director and Teaching and Learning faculty.
- Provide general information to students, faculty and staff about the campus, college, program requirements and application process.
- Clarify admissions, grading, scheduling and graduation policies for students and respond to relevant questions.
- Maintain student records and databases related to students (e.g. finger printing records, background checks, field-work placements, etc.).
- Maintain and update student files in data tracking system according to policies and procedures.
- Maintain, interpret, and implement university, state and federal guidelines and policies regarding student records.
- Explain policies and procedures related to course registration, adding and dropping courses and program withdrawal. Schedule faculty advising meetings and formal interviews for prospective and current students.
- Update forms and manuals on a quarterly basis and/or as needed.
- Attend events to publicize COE programs and facilitate the process of hosting such events.
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of Higher Education processes
- Understanding of college student development, higher education administration and/or career development
- Knowledge of standard counseling and advising practices
- Experience, training and knowledge of issues related to diversity and multicultural affairs in education.
- Knowledge of and experience with FERPA protected information
- Demonstrated leadership experience
- Intermediate to advanced computer skills. Familiarity with, and proficiency in all MSOffice applications (Advanced skills with Excel)
- Experience that demonstrates strong interpersonal skills and the ability to establish rapport with persons of diverse backgrounds, which includes faculty, staff and students
- Excellent organizational skills with the ability to prioritize and multitask
- Exceptional customer service skills
- Ability to take direction and use independent judgment to meet multiple deadlines.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with an ability to provide information clearly and concisely.
- Professional image and demeanor
- Strong Planning and organizational skills, accompanied by strong attention to detail
- Ability to work through processes quickly and prioritize responsibilites
- Self-motivated, shows initiative and is a fast learner
- Flexible and amiable, with the ability to function well as a member of a team
For the purposes of FLSA this position has been determined to be exempt from (not eligible for) overtime under FLSA.
The University of Colorado, Colorado Springs offers a full benefits package. Information on University benefits programs, including eligibility, is located at http://www.cu.edu/employee-services.
The University of Colorado is committed to providing a safe and productive learning, living and working community. To assist in achieving this goal, we conduct background investigations for all prospective applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial and/or motor vehicle history check.
• Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university that supports the mission of the college
• Minimum of one-year post-Bachelor's degree experience in admissions, and/or student advising, and/or student affairs, at the post-secondary level
• Master degree in Counseling, Education, Student Affairs, Business Management or a related field
• Excellent computer and database skills, proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
• Ability to focus, maintain grace under pressure and meet deadlines
• Self-motivation, commitment to objectives, and reliability of work attendance
Special Instructions to Applicants:Applications must be submitted through CU Careers. Applications received through surface mail or email will not be considered. Applications received by July 20, 2017 will receive full consideration. Upon request, please be prepared to provide five references (at least two previous/current supervisors), including their email contact information. Official transcripts will be required upon hire.
Application Materials Required:Cover Letter, Resume/CV, List of References
Job Category: Academic Services
Primary Location: Colorado Springs
Department: C0001 -- Colorado Springs Campus - 40036 - College of Education
Posting Date: Jul 6, 2017
Closing Date: Jul 20, 2017
Posting Contact Name: Leslie Grant
Posting Contact Email: email@example.com
Position Number: 00735577