Posting Number C857P
Quick Link for Posting http://jobs.uark.edu/postings/21280
Working Title Compliance Specialist
Position Number 12627
Department International Students & Scholars
About the University
Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Located in the stunning Ozark Mountains of Northwest Arkansas, Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country's finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation's best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
About the College/Department
The International Students and Scholars office supports departments, international students and international scholars to maintain compliance with US Department of Homeland Security, US Department of State, and US Department of Labor regulations, and the adjustment and integration to campus and community life of international students and scholars. The office reports to the Dean of the Graduate School and International Education.
Department Home Page http://international-students.uark.edu
Job Type Staff
Summary of Job Duties
The Compliance Specialist will provide general administrative support to the Compliance area of International Students and Scholars with specific attention to the areas of Foreign Student Advising and Scholar Advising. This position will support the mission of the department, the Graduate School and International Education, and the institution.
Regular, reliable, and non-disruptive attendance is an essential job duty, as is the ability to create and maintain collegial, harmonious working relationships with others.
Minimum Qualifications: Please ensure that all relevant application materials include details addressing the minimum qualifications. Applicants not meeting the minimum qualifications will be disqualified from consideration.
- The formal education equivalent of a high school diploma
- At least one year of specialized training in business management, business education, or a related field
- At least three years of experience in specialized or a related field applicable to work performed
Does this job require any license(s)/certification(s)? No
If yes, please specify
- Demonstrated experience working in Microsoft Office, database management, and scanning into electronic file storage systems
- Demonstrated experience in providing high quality customer service
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Knowledge of basic immigration regulations
- Knowledge of characteristics of good customer service (i.e. phone etiquette, business communication, attentiveness to office guests)
- Ability to work with PCs and Microsoft office suite
- Ability to learn new/different software and/or other technologies
- Ability to work effectively with linguistically and culturally diverse clients
- Ability to apply basic federal and state regulations and University of Arkansas policies to specific circumstances
- Ability to create and maintain collegial, harmonious working relationships with others in a multicultural environment
- Ability to complete processes accurately in an environment where interruptions are frequent
- Ability to prioritize, plan, organize, and execute tasks/projects from multiple sources
Physical activities associated with this position
For questions regarding reasonable accommodations please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Compliance 479-575-4019.
- Manipulate items with fingers, including keyboarding
- Repetitive motion
The worker is required to have visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading; and/or visual inspection at distances close to the eyes. The worker is required to have visual acuity to determine the accuracy, neatness, and thoroughness of the work assigned (i.e., custodial, general laborer, etc.) or to make general observations of facilities or structures (i.e., security guard, etc).
Physical Conditions None. The worker is not substantially exposed to adverse environmental conditions (such as in typical office or administrative work).
Work Schedule Monday - Friday 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Overtime Eligible Yes
Is this position weather/event essential? If yes, the employee in this position will report to work at the scheduled time when the University is closed due to inclement conditions. No
Work Location/Building Fayetteville Campus - Holcombe Hall
Benefits Eligible Yes
Appointment Percent 100
Pay Grade Level C112
Does this Position require a Motor Vehicle Reports Check? No
Does this position require a background check? Yes
If yes, please specify
- Criminal background check
- Sex offender registry check
Does this position require a substance abuse test? No
Pre-employment Screening Requirements
This position is subject to a pre-employment criminal background and sex offender registry check. A criminal conviction or arrest pending adjudication alone shall not disqualify an applicant in the absence of a relationship to the requirements of the position. Background check information will be used in a confidential, non-discriminatory manner consistent with state and federal law.
Posting Detail Information
Future Open Date
Close Date 07/20/2017
Open Until Filled No
Anticipated Start Date
Anticipated End Date (for temporary appointments)
Recruitment Contact Information
Michael Freeman, Director (email@example.com)
Audra Johnston, Associate Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
All application materials must be uploaded to the U of A's employment system at jobs.uark.edu. Please do not send to listed recruitment contact.
Special Instructions Summary
Hiring Location 222 Administration Building Fayetteville, AR 72701.
The University of Arkansas is an equal opportunity, affirmative action institution. The university welcomes applications without regard to age, race/color, gender (including pregnancy), national origin, disability, religion, marital or parental status, protected veteran status, military service, genetic information, sexual orientation or gender identity. Persons must have proof of legal authority to work in the United States on the first day of employment. All applicant information is subject to public disclosure under the Arkansas Freedom of Information Act.
Internal Posting No
City, St. Fayetteville, AR
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have the formal education of a high school diploma or equivalent?
- * Do you have at least one year of specialized training in business management, business education, or a related field?
- * Do you have at least three years of experience in specialized or a related field applicable to work performed?
- * What is your level of experience with the Microsoft Office Suite, specifically Word and Excel?
- No experience
- * Please describe your experience working with databases or other specialized software.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Which best describes your years of experience providing customer service to a diverse population?
- Some experience but less than one year
- At least one year experience but less than two years
- At least two years experience but less than three years
- Three years experience or more
- * Please provide your experience interpreting and applying federal, state, and university rules, regulations, and policies.
(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your international experience, whether within the U.S. or abroad. Please state "None" if you do not have any experience.
(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed to Apply
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- Proof of Veterans Status