Grounds Maintenance Technician (Horticulture) (F/T), CF3N30352FOM
Under general supervision, performs work of routine difficulty in the landscaping and maintenance of campus grounds; performs other related work as required.
Position Title: Grounds Maintenance Technician (Horticulture) (F/T), CF3N30352FOM
Duties of Position:
- Design, installation, and maintenance of all flower beds on campus.
- Perform the planting, removal, watering, fertilization, pest and disease control, and pruning of trees and shrubs on the college campus.
- Mix and apply chemical herbicides and pesticides.
- Participates in winter snow removal operations.
- Performs summer and winter maintenance on small engine equipment, sprinklers and spray equipment, etc.
- Maintains hand and power tools.
- May perform minor cement or asphalt patching on sidewalk and parking lots.
- May erect regulatory and information signing.
- Maintain planting and treatment records.
- Orders materials as needed.
- Periodically supports the work of building maintenance staff.
- May direct student or temporary workers; may supervise all staff in absence of Grounds Supervisor.
- Maintain irrigation, parking lots, utility and landscape plans on AutoCAD computer program.
- Daily outdoor trash pickup.
- Required to report to work during emergency conditions and may be assigned to report at a different time and location and to perform different duties as necessary.
- Annually responsible for 4 documented hours of continuous learning through seminars, classroom training or conferences.
- Performs work safely in accordance with department safety procedures and the College of DuPage safety program. Operates equipment safely and reports any unsafe work condition or practice to supervisor.
- Daily completion of work hour time reports.
- Other related duties as assigned.
Experience and Education:
Three years experience in horticulture, landscape contracting, forestry or a related field. Pesticide applicator's license with turf and ornamentals endorsement. Valid Class "B" with CDL endorsement license. See Working Conditions. Minimally proficient in spoken English.
High school diploma with 18 credit hours in Ornamental Horticulture and a good knowledge of herbicide and pesticide mixing and application procedures.
Five years experience in nursery work, horticulture, landscape contracting, forestry or a related field. Certified Arborist. Knowledge of AutoCAD Program.
Completion of 30 semester hours of college level in horticulture, landscape contracting, forestry or a related field.
Equipment & Working Conditions:
Knowledge of grounds equipment including: mowers, sprayers, chain saws, power mechanical tools, and all types of vehicles, and the upkeep and repair of all equipment and tools.
Board Policy 15-460 requires post offer, reasonable suspicion, random, and post-accident alcohol and controlled substance tests at the College’s expense for this position. Required to be scheduled on call from October to April to aid in snow emergencies. Must be able to lift 50+ pounds. Must be able to bend, reach, work on hands and knees of necessary. Uniform appearance must be clean and in good wear. No holes, tears or cutoffs will be allowed. Must wear solid soled shoes. No sneakers without written documentation from Physician or Building and Grounds Manager. Usually good conditions, but could be exposed to harsh weather and long hours in emergency situations. Position requires extensive walking and the ability to climb stairs and ladders. Required uniforms supplied by the College of DuPage. Must pass physical exam at College expense.
This position requires a background check and drug screen.
College of DuPage does not discriminate against individuals in employment opportunities, programs and/or activities on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age, national origin, ancestry, veterans' status, marital status, disability, military status, unfavorable discharge from military service, or on any other basis protected by law.
Department: Facilities Operations - FOM
Position Type: Full time - FT
Pay Type: Hourly Non-Exempt