Extension Specialist, Community Nutrition and Health
General Description of Position: The Community Nutrition and Health Specialist will work under the general direction of the K-State Research and Extension (KSRE) Director of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program Education (SNAP-Ed) and the SNAP-Ed Coordinator, and in collaboration with the state SNAP-Ed team and the regional Family and Consumer Sciences Specialist to provide support to Extension Agents in assigned counties and/or Extension Districts and, in some capacities, statewide. The work will complement nutrition education with policy, system and environmental (PSE) approaches for KSRE SNAP-Ed, a nutrition education and obesity prevention program for low income families and individuals. This position resides in Parsons, Kansas Diversity and Inclusion: Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university actively seeks candidates whose commitments and contributions will advance the University's commitment to the Principles of Community. Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Nutrition, Public Health, dietetics, Human Resource Management or relevant field and at least three years full time professional experience related to the position
Master’s degree in Nutrition, Public Health, dietetics, Human Resource Management or relevant field in process with degree completion within 3 years and at least seven years full time professional experience related to the position.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate, interact, collaborate, and network with a variety of stakeholders focused on a common goal or mission.
- Excellent interpersonal and group process skills with diverse groups of people in a team setting.
- Ability to organize and prioritize activities to meet identified program and fiscal objectives.
- Experience using Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook, Excel) and web-based video/audio conferencing platforms.
- Experience in evaluation of community-based programs.
- Experience working independently and as a team member.
- Experience with diverse and under-served populations.
- Ability and willingness to travel and a valid driver’s license.
- Community coalition or community coaching experience.
- Experience with developing PSE activities designed to support behavior change interventions.
- Experience with Cooperative Extension.
- Experience supervising others in either a paid or unpaid capacity.
- Knowledge of the Social Ecological Model of Health.
- Credentials in health related fields such as registered dietitian, certified health and wellness coach, or certified community health worker.
- PhD degree in Nutrition, Public Health, dietetics or other relevant field.
Submit a letter of interest, via the Kansas State University online system (k-state.edu/hcs/jobs) identifying your strengths commensurate to this position, as well as a resume and the names and contact information for three references. For additional information, please contact Linda Lamb (firstname.lastname@example.org), 785-532-1944 or Dr. Paula Peters (email@example.com), 785-532-1560.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.Screening of Applications Begins: August 21, 2017, and will continue until until filled. Salary Range / Pay Rate: Commensurate with experience. Equal Employment Opportunity: Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law. Background Screening Statement: In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.