IT Support Specialist II
General Description of Position:
The individual in this position works as part of a team in the Operations Center (OC) to monitor the availability and performance of applications, environment, processes, servers, services and systems. This position is responsible for first and second tier problem determination, incident/problem recording, problem escalation, and root cause analysis. This position assists the Security Administration Coordinator, in conjunction with K-State administrative offices, to provide access to systems including SIS, PeopleSoft, FRS, BRS, FAM, FIS, STARS, Eprint, OSS, MVS, DARS, and WID, among others. This position serves as a liaison with the identity management team to resolve issues involving access to systems using the K-State eID. This position provides Level II support for academic and administrative systems. This position will draft communiqués including Operations Center documentation, knowledge base articles, playbooks and status reports. Work involves supervising student staff. This position reports to the Information Technology Manager of the Operations Center.
Diversity and Inclusion:
Kansas State University embraces diversity, and promotes inclusion in every sector of the institution. The university established the Office of Diversity, led by the associate vice provost for diversity and a dedicated staff. Additionally, each college has a designated Diversity Point Person to provide insight and guidance.
Kansas State University received the prestigious Higher Education Excellence in Diversity, or HEED, award from Insight Into Diversity magazine for the past three years. Multicultural students account for 15 percent of our student population, a university record and continuing trend.
Monitors the availability and performance of applications, environment, processes, servers, services and systems using the appropriate diagnostic tools and procedures. Works with the Data Center manager to control access to the facility. Works with the Operations Center team on new and innovative monitoring as new functionality is implemented. Supervise student staff.
Processes phishing scams and performs other security-related functions including security incident blocks, VPN management, antivirus monitoring and resolution. Represents the organization in cross-governmental activity to safeguard and validate information system security. Receives or documents user requests for information, requests for assistance, or suggestions for system improvement. Assists users to resolve problems or performs needed action at the time of contact, whenever possible; otherwise, directs action to appropriate IT support personnel to resolve problems. Assist in processing users request for security access to administrative systems. Digitize documentation in accordance with ImageNow processes. Document processes and procedures related to system security administration access. Assists in organization and implementation of systems or software for the Operations Center when new functionality or applications are implemented. Install applications on the OC machines as needed.
Provides technical support for IT problems, responding to situations and deciding on appropriate escalation procedures. Uses designated software to initiate incident tickets, document incidents and record problem history. Applies analytical techniques and troubleshooting methods to isolate and/or clarify problems to determine root cause. Escalates problems to ITS personnel following established policies, procedures and guidelines. Maintains confidentiality of information. Participates in after action review. Maintains communications with customers during problem resolution by providing status information and estimated time to resolution and responding to customer follow-up inquiries to keep customer updated. Maintains a professional, pro-active, customer-focused outlook. Suggests recommendations for improvement of procedures, and documentation to the unit manager. Develops and maintains problem management procedures and documentation, including IT status reports and knowledge base articles.
Reads and is familiar with all pertinent materials, manuals, guides and other documentation to maintain awareness of operating procedures and standards of Information Technology Services, Information Technology Assistance Center, and Operations Center. Attends Operations Center, iTAC and ITS meetings as appropriate. Pursues professional development, pending funding. Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
High School diploma
Two years’ experience in a desktop support, helpdesk, technical support, and/or operations center environment
- Analytical and problem solving skills to troubleshoot systems problems
- Ability to manage multiple high priority initiatives in a fast paced, highly technical environment
- Effective written and verbal communications skills; effective interpersonal skills in communicating technical IT issues to a non-technical public
- Demonstrated strong customer service skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- BS in Computer Science, Management Information Systems or related field, plus one year of experience in electronics, electrical engineering, or telecommunications. Five years of experience can be substituted for this qualification
- Three years’ experience in a desktop support, helpdesk, technical support, and/or operations center environment
- Basic knowledge of IT system monitoring methods, operating systems, local and wide area networks, VMware servers, data communications equipment, and related software.
- Experience with analyzing, diagnosing, and resolving complex operations
- Experience with responding to customer issues, interacting with client and contractor staff, performing in a team environment, and following established procedures.
- Experience with developing policies, procedures and writing technical articles
Any of the following certifications:
- Microsoft Technology Assistant
- Network Plus
- Linux Essentials
- ITIL Foundations
Special Instructions to Applicants:
- A cover letter reflecting how skills meet the requirements of the position.
- The names, phone numbers, and email addresses of at least three professional references.
Applicants must be currently authorized to work in the United States at the time of employment.
Screening of Applications Begins:
Screening of applicants will begin immediately
Salary Range / Pay Rate:
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Kansas State University is an Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans and actively seeks diversity among its employees. Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.
Background Screening Statement:
In connection with your application for employment, Kansas State University may procure a Background Screen on you as part of the process of considering your candidacy as an employee.